Bushcraft Magazine - Why So Expensive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
the website for this mag shows a cover price of 3.50 per issue... how come the sub is so high?

The £24 quoted was for overseas postage - at which we still make a slight loss as the postage for overseas went up more than we allowed for. A UK subscription is only £19 which pays for postage/paypal and the envelope. So thats an extra £1.25 per issue. (lets not worry about the hours it takes to put all the mags in the envelopes, add the labels and take them to the post office....)

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just wanted to throw the weight of my support behind Bushcraft and Survival Skills magazine. I subscribe to the mag and always get a bit of a grin on my face when it pops through the door!

I really enjoy reading it and I think principally it's because it's written with such genuine friendliness. Yes there are numerous typos, and sometimes (which is rather more serious in the case of foraging articles and the like), pictures are mis-captioned. Yes, not all articles are works of literary genius (the authors are wilderness living experts after all, not Shakespeare...); but it's heart is absolutely in the right place. It feels quaint and honest to read, it's inoffensive and gives everyone a fair break (even Bear Grylls) and as such is free of the pretension and elitism that always surfaces in any community of similarly minded people.

I was on a course with Joe O'Leary at the weekend and the subject of the mag came up. He was supportive of it beyond his own advertising interests, mentioning he'd been recently helping them at The Outdoors Show. He was of the opinion that the couple who edit the magazine (lovely people apparently) are genuinely passionate about spreading bushcraft awareness further afield.

Go on... stop being sniffy and give it another chance if you haven't read it for a while!

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
To be honest I like both mags! They both offer different views on the same subject with different writers views. I take the info given, try things out and make my own mind up what works for me. As for Bear Grylls. Many people had made thier minds up about the endorsed products prior to them coming out! I think he has taken far more stick from these people than he deserves but thats just my opinion for what its worth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE