Bushcraft Magazine - Why So Expensive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
I'd love to order a subscription to the magazine but holy crap its a WHACK of dough! For a subscription to Canada it equates to $49 GBP...thats almost $80 Canadian for 6 magazines a year. Yikes!! Thats the same as over $13 per magazine...talk about pricing yourself out of the world market. Too bad......

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I wouldn't worry too much - your $80 would only get you a semi-literate wedge of advertising for Gerber and Ronnie Sunshines (both perfectly good brands but I don't see why I should pay to read their advertising). There's rarely more than a few pages per edition that feel like someone actually put their backs into the articles. I ditched my subscription.

On the other hand, The Bushcraft Magazine is well worth the money, makes for a nice read.

(No connection to either publication...)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wouldn't worry too much - your $80 would only get you a semi-literate wedge of advertising for Gerber and Ronnie Sunshines (both perfectly good brands but I don't see why I should pay to read their advertising). There's rarely more than a few pages per edition that feel like someone actually put their backs into the articles. I ditched my subscription.

On the other hand, The Bushcraft Magazine is well worth the money, makes for a nice read.

(No connection to either publication...)

What he said!
Bushcraft and Survival(BS magazine) is not a patch on Bushcraft Magazine!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
The added bonus of getting Bushcraft Magazine (the one Bardster does) is that there are pictures of me it!
Tastefully posed, obviously.
If you look at the article on making the bread oven, those are my stunt feet treading the mud.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Bushcraft and Survival isn't that great. Not much original content, very much a Bear Grylls fanzine and full of ads. The main plus is that Pablo of Woodlife fame writes articles for them.
The Bushcraft magazine, on the other hand, is great. Lots of original content and a real homely feel. Even better than the good old BCUK magazine but with slightly lower production values.
There's also a PDF magazine via the BCUSA website which is ok, still in it's early stages but at an unbeatable price.

Apr 14, 2011
Canada

Totally!! To be honest, I was talking about "Bushcraft and Survival" not the magazine published here. In fact, I didn't even know Bushcraft UK was a magazine. I came here for the forums. There's a lot of good guys here with lots of great info so that was the draw for me.

Now that I know about the magazine I may have to look a bit deeper and see about getting a subscription.

Sorry 'bout the confusion...doh! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There was a Bushcraft UK magazine ...sadly it died...
A link to The Bushcraft Magazine is to be found in the Trading Post forum on this site :)

Mang

Settler
Subscription for Bushcraft & Survival skills is £29 for six editions (UK) so I'm not sure how good or bad overseas rates are. I put this thread on for people to reference articles in the said mag http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70565&highlight=

It has gone from 50 pages to 82 pages (and no, that isn't and extra 32 pages of ads) and hasn't gone up in that time and yet people have said on here before 'Oh it used to be good'...when it was more pence per page? It's £4.95 per issue but it's bi-monthly so it's £2.47ish a month...how much is a packet of fags? A pint down the pub? A bottle of wine?

There's also a lot of non-truths written about the mag on here too...it features how to use a bow and drill each issue and Bear is always in it for instance-Utter rubbish!

As for content, well the main guest articles in the latest issue feature a big 4 page article by Fergus ''Roadkill chef'' Drennan on Dandelions, Jason Ingamells (founder of Woodland Ways) doing a 3 page basket weaving tutorial, Ben & Lois Orford show how to make a elongated wooden bowl, Pablo from Woodlife describes how to spot nests and chicks, Ben McNutt (Woodsmoke founder) has done a detailed 3 page piece on fish haunts and feeding habits bowl, Dale Collett (British Bushcraft School) has a 2 page feature on drying out and using a fire by friction kit, top tracker and Shadowhawk founder Ian Maxwell has a 2 page snake article, Annette Stickler (Campfire Skills) has done a fantastic 3 page piece on Romany Gypsies and Fraser Christian (Coastal Survival) has a 2 piece article on building a beach oven.

That's 19 pages just on those articles alone, add in the regular and smaller 1 page features (eg bushcraft on a budget, Tristan Gooley, reviews, course directory etc) and I make it 13 outside company ad pages which leaves 69 pages. It's also worth pointing out that two half ads are a magazine readers offer for a frontier stove & knife bay where you can advertise knives for sale.

The mag have also got Lars Kochanski and Gransfors coming to their Outdoor Show in June and I noticed on Facebook that the editor has been chatting to Mors Kochanski over a 'watch this space' something or other. Would any of then be associated with this so called 'rubbish' mag?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE