Bushcraft implements part 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, i,ve been making a few bits and bobs again and i thought you may like a look.

Today,i made these bone arrow heads,which i abraded on sandstone.

DSCF1559800x600.jpg

And last week i knitted my first gill net,which took about 6 hours of knitting the mesh.
I then carved the floats,next it was time to assemble it,tying on the sinkers and threading on the floats.

Completed net.
DSCF1576800x600.jpg

The end float.
DSCF1569800x600.jpg

Mid floats.
DSCF1573800x600.jpg

And a close up.
DSCF1570800x600.jpg

And the sinkers. The holes in the sinker were not created by me,rather it was a type of clam which drills through stones.
DSCF1574800x600.jpg

Anyway thanks for looking.
Cheers Stuart.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
great sutff as always stuart. one question, have you treated the floats with anything to stop them from getting saturated over time and losing bouyancy, or am i just over-thinking this one?

stuart

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Nice work Stuart.

can't think of coming across stones with holes like that.
Are they common on the beach?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,thanks for the kind comments.

I never knew that the holes in the pebbles I found on the beach were created by clams. Great work btw - how bouyant are those floats?

Hi moutainm,Yes the holes are made by the Common Piddock(Pholas dactylus),the front end of the shell is rasp like and it uses it to burrow into soft rock.

As for the floats,well they float LOL.

great sutff as always stuart. one question, have you treated the floats with anything to stop them from getting saturated over time and losing bouyancy, or am i just over-thinking this one?

stuart

Hi Stu,i hav'nt treated the floats with anything. Also i have never heard of any tribes that may have used preservatives on the floats,but thats not to say they did'nt though,just that i have not come upon it,in any of my ethnographic books.

Nice work Stuart.

can't think of coming across stones with holes like that.
Are they common on the beach?

Hi Tam,you may not have come upon them as the ones i use come from the east coast,but in the link they say they have been recorded on the Solway.
http://www.marlin.ac.uk/speciesfullreview.php?speciesID=4102

Cheers Stuart.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Those arrow heads are lovely ;) ;) ;) ;) if you ever have a spare it would look nice to show off my bows, all natural arra n all :) ;) have i winked enough yet lol

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks again folks.

stu this is absolutely cracking mate!! i'd love to have a crack at a gill net, any chance of a tutorial?

Dave

Hi Dave,i will see what i can do on the tutorial front.

Those arrow heads are lovely ;) ;) ;) ;) if you ever have a spare it would look nice to show off my bows, all natural arra n all :) ;) have i winked enough yet lol

Hi Dwardo,i may just have a spare one you can have,i will be intouch through pm.

Amazing work bud , are yi going ti try one day
ti see if you catch any fishie's

Hi Gaz,it will get an outing at some point,but that may be some time off,as i can only legally use it on the coast.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE