Bushcraft tool kit(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,I have made a few bits and bobs that i thought you might like to cast an eye over.
Some of the Scottish members will probably seen a few of these at some of the meetups ;)
All of the pieces that you see were made using just a knife,Flint,Quartz and Sandstone as tools,all the materials well, mother nature she provided those;)

Starting from the back left to right,coiled basket,Quiver made of Gaint Hogweed and Spruce roots and a couple of arrows,a twined Willow flat basket,then two Ash bows and below them are another couple of arrows,one tipped with abraded Slate the other Deer bone.
Starting back over to the left again we have Bow drill set,two small containers,one Birch bark the other Angelica stalk.Next four needles,Bow for Bowdrill,Birchbark container strengthed on the rim by Spruce roots,Gaint Hogweed container with Willow wood cap.
Down front,a Flint tipped hand drill,just above this we have Bone toggle and Jute cordage dropper for fishing,then two Flint arrow heads,next to these there is 20 feet of braided nettle cordage for a fishing line,and finally we have a Berry picker. PHEW :rolleyes:
prim.jpg

Some closer views.
prim1.jpg

prim3.jpg

Containers
prim4.jpg

Cordage
prim5.jpg

Needles,left to right Rabbit bone,Red Deer Antler,Roe Deer leg bone then Boxwood,and
Flint tip on Hand drill.
prim6.jpg

Anyway thanks for looking,and if anyone has a question the i will try my best to answer it.

Cheers Stuart.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks for the kind comments folks.

giant hogweed container is cool! how is the strength

Hi Pignut,the Hogweed is pretty strong but does have a tendancy split down its length,thats why i used Spruce roots to give it extra strength at each end,where the end caps fit in.

good effort!:)
im gessing the hogweed was dry befor you used it?

pete

Hi Pete,the Hogweed i gathered after the plant had died back,you have to be on the ball as the plant starts to rot and become weak at the base.To test it i just squeeze the dead stem and if does'nt break,i use it.

I hope this is of help.
Cheers Stuart.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Fantastic work Stuart. People don't always realise the amount of time that goes into making a range of tools and utensils like you have shown here.
Its great to see someone putting the true essence of bushcraft into practice.:You_Rock_

Patrick

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks again to all for the kind words,the thing is this is just a few pieces up to now,i have a list the length of my arm to get through,from making a woven Rabbit skin robe that i hope to use instead of my blanket to sleep out in,too making a gill net all from natural cordage with stone sinkers and floats.So much to learn so little time :rolleyes:

Many thanks Stuart.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
all the materials well, mother nature she provided those.
<snip>
Jute cordadge

Where'd you get the jute from - I believe it's not native to the U.K.(Pakistan)?

(My father's side of the family were involved with the jute in Dundee - my father served an apprenticeship as a jute spinner and weaver.)

Jim

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Where'd you get the jute from - I believe it's not native to the U.K.(Pakistan)?

(My father's side of the family were involved with the jute in Dundee - my father served an apprenticeship as a jute spinner and weaver.)

Jim

Isn't natural string/garden twine jute?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders

Jim

Hi Jim,i was given a load of the fibre a few years ago by a member of BCUK at one of the Scottish meets.I am now only getting round to turning it into some thing. :rolleyes:

Indeed not native but still a natural product IE mother nature provided it ;)

Cheers Stuart.

Gailainne

Life Member
Fantastic work Stuart. People don't always realise the amount of time that goes into making a range of tools and utensils like you have shown here.
Its great to see someone putting the true essence of bushcraft into practice.:You_Rock_

Patrick

Indeed, I'm in the middle of making a mates wedding Sgian Dubh, using power tools, which is hard enough.

Utilizing local resources not only for the materials but for the tools as well. :notworthy :approve: wonderful stuff mate.

Is that the coil basket you were working on the last time we met at Comrie Stuart ?

Regards

Stephen

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Is that the coil basket you were working on the last time we met at Comrie Stuart ?

Regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen,thanks for the kind comments,yeah thats the same one,i still have'nt made my mind up whether to put handles on it yet though.:rolleyes:

You will have to post some pics of the Sgian Dubh when you've finished it.:)

All the best Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE