Bushcraft skill share part deux

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
was there an answer aboiut taking dogs? Is anyone taking their dog this weekend? Are dogs even allowed?? I ask as I am struggling with the idea of leaving my four legged friend at home while i go play in the woods!

Regular Brockwell folk can vouch that he's a good un.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Rod,its not this weekend mate tis the one after 17th,man it must be some infection if you,ve lost a week;).

I hope you feel better soon,get :hatscarf: and take it easy.

Atb Stuart.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
If anyone's looking for a new axe sheath for there small Forrest axe or wildlife hatchet or Kubben hatchet bring them with you Ive got a few spares that Ive made :)

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Time to grovel....

Would I be able to bum a lift from central Edinburgh to Wooplaw on Saturday morning, please? One person, one rucsac, one big toolbox. I'd also need a lift from Wooplaw to Stow or (pretty please) Edinburgh on the Sunday afternoon/evening.

Thanks

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Time to grovel....

Would I be able to bum a lift from central Edinburgh to Wooplaw on Saturday morning, please? One person, one rucsac, one big toolbox. I'd also need a lift from Wooplaw to Stow or (pretty please) Edinburgh on the Sunday afternoon/evening.

Thanks

Hi Ian , I will be heading down this weekend but i'm not sure if it will be lat Friday or early Saturday morning , also i'm not sure if i i will be taking the works van or stealing the wifes car but i will know more of my plans in a couple of days .

Craig...........

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Id like to come, couple of questions.
Am i allowed to hammock?
and what time can i arrive from?

thanks.

Having walked through the woods before it is more suited to hammocks than tents but then again there was a couple of inches of snow on the ground so it was harder to spot suitable pitches for tents.
Not to sure about arrival times but as it is a community woodland i don't think anyone would mind when you turn up .

Craig...........

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,just a wee update to try and answer some questions raised.

There should be no problems for tents at wooplaw,as myself and others have just pitched up in the wood next to the log cabin before,the trees are pretty well spaced out,also you should'nt have to much trouble finding spots for the tree dwellers either.

I myself will be at Wooplaw from Thursday lunchtime until the Sunday,so you can turn up anytime.

What i will do is make up signs,with BCUK meet,written on them. And i will put these at the junctions,so people coming from the north will see one in Stow,and people coming from the south will see one just north of Galashiels,both indicating the direction you should take.

I hope that makes sense.

Could i also ask if some folk who have big cooking pots,could you maybe bring one,for the communal meal on the Saturday,as i have one but we may need another just in case,the one i have might not big enough:rolleyes:.
I spoke too Barn owl at the weekend and he says he has some Venison,and i will bring some stewing steak and a veggie pack to go in the pot. If folks want to bring something to add to it,then the more the merrier.

If anyone can think of anything else that needs addressed,please post away.

Cheers Stuart.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Probably worthwhile mentioning the following about Wooplaw:

We don't have a source of drinking water at Wooplaw, so you'll need to bring water in.

Wooplaw can be quite damp (very wet!) underfoot, so waterproof shoes/boots are a good idea - I normally wear steel toe-capped wellies.

Mobile phone reception can be hit and miss, but the area round the log cabin seems to have OK ish reception (for those who are worried about such things).

Bring your own loo roll for the earth closet!

There are plenty camp pitches at the log cabin, the campsite (surprisingly enough), the classroom and the green woodworking area.

If push comes to shove, I am informed that the Tesco in Galashiels is open 24 hours a day. There is also a Co-op (and a few other shops) in Lauder.

Between us, Stuart and I seem to know Wooplaw pretty well, so please do ask if you need any further info.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
I don't think i will be able to make this, the time i finish work on fri nite it would a bit far too travel ,,
enjoy your weekend , i maybe pop up on sat will see ..

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
No work this weekend so i'll be there. I've got a big bag of logs and i'll bring an assortment of chisels etc. Should be there Friday pm some time. Any thing else we need??

Allly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE