Knife making with flint tools - prepping for WSS Hunter Gatherer course - part 2 of 4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
As I said in my previous thread the Hunter Gatherer course assessment (http://www.wilderness-survival.co.uk/the-hunter-gatherer/) required evidence of green woodworking. Like any self respecting would be bushcrafter I’ve made the obligatory spoon or three in the past but I no longer possessed any even half decent ones. The poor ones had become fuel and the OK ones (I wouldn’t say any were particularly good) had been given away. Therefore I didn’t have any craft items to show except a none too brilliant noggin which was hardly likely to impress anyone.

Now I could have got my spoon knife out and made some spoons and maybe a kuksa just for the assessment but since the course requires the use of stone tools I thought I’d do some green woodworking with flint tools I’d made myself. Only a few of the flint items used are fabricated tools I’ve made myself and none were essential. The majority of the work was done with simple flint flakes which even someone as inept at flintknapping as me can create.

The knife handle was made from a split piece of wood because the knife blade was just a suitable flake with the bulb of percussion still there. To shape the notch to fit the bulb was easier when I could easily access both sides of the notch.

First I cut my hazel sapling using a flint adze I'd made previously:

1-cuttingthehazel-1.jpg

As you can see it's hardly the tidiest way of cutting wood but it's effective. Suffice to say I tidied up with my Laplander afterwards.

Next, using the adze again I rough cut the sapling to more usable lengths. The adze was used to speed up the process; otherwise I could have done it by making a rose cut using a simple flake:

2-roughingout-1.jpg

Removing the bark is next and for this a flake is all you need. Just make sure the angle you use isn't too sharp or you'll gouge the wood:

3-barkremoval-1.jpg

I then tidied the ends. Again a sharp flake is all you need. One thing to remember is that unlike trimming the ends with a metal knife cutting towards you is preferable when you use flint. Cutting towards you gives more control - just remember flint is sharp and can cut you badly:

4-tidyingtheends-1.jpg

Using a stone saw I cut grooves around the handle for the cordage that will bind the two halves of the completed knife handle together. The saw is just a flake with a few notches flaked into it. I hafted it because then it was less tiring to use when I was going to do a lot of sawing. I didn't cut the grooves as deep as they would finally be in case I ruined the handle at the following step:

5-startingthenotches-1.jpg

Then I split the handle in two using a wooden baton and a sharp flake as a wedge:

7-splitting-1.jpg

Since the handle split properly I cut the grooves as deep and wide as I wanted them. The grooves had a few feathery splinters in them after this so to remove them I rubbed some cordage back and forth along the groove with some vigour;

8-tidyingthegrooves-1.jpg

Then I finished shaping both ends of the the handle then cut the notch to more readily fit the blade:

9-shapingtheend-1.jpg

Finally here's the completed knife. I haven't properly tied the cordage (which could either be tied only in the grooves or along the whole length of the handle) but you'll get the idea. To improve the knife I would cut out the wood between the grooves so the cordage could lie within it when wrapped around the handle:

10-roughknife-1.jpg

When the wood has seasoned I usually sand down the handle with a piece of sandstone:

11-sandedhandle-1.jpg

Not the greatest knife in the world but surprisingly usable so long as the cordage is tied sufficiently tightly. It'll need re-tightening every so often especially as the wood dries but it's only a matter of moments to do so. Similarly it doesn't take much time to take out the old blade and fit a new one.

Last edited:

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
nice tools,would rawhide work better as cordage? wouldnt go loose in fact the opposite.

Indeed it would and that's how the adze blade was lashed onto the handle, with deerskin rawhide and a covering of hide glue. Though to be fair part of the loosening of the knife blade first off is due to the wood shrinking as it dries. I didn't use rawhide for the stone saw or the finished knife purely for the sake of saving time. In my next thread I'll show some stone tools I've made with rawhide lashing.

Apologies if the pictures are a bit small but I don't know how to post them so as they're bigger.

Last edited:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Looks good. Any chance of some larger photos? Looking at your album the reason they are tiny is cause they were uploaded that size.

Last edited:

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
Looks good. Any chance of some larger photos? Looking at your album the reason they are tiny is cause they were uploaded that size.

You're right, I'm such a numpty sometimes. I'll upload them again and take more care doing so when I get time (bit busy at the mo as I've got various bits and pieces to make including a better flint adze and an axe to complete ASAP since the course starts in two weeks time).

Last edited:

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
This is a replica made of a flint saw in a museum, saws are quite authentic.

However it's a little different to the one used here, I'd be interested to know how it stood up and stayed sharp when you were using it.

saw10.jpg

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
That looks more of a sickle than a saw but same principle I suppose. I had seen blades similar to the one in your photograph but since I was going to be sawing partially seasoned wood at times I thought bigger teeth with wider gaps between them might be the way to go (no logic behind my choice, it just seemed the right idea at the time). If the saw turned out a bit pants in use I could always alter the edge anyway.

My little saw has stayed sharp in use but I want to make another one with the teeth smaller and closer together to see if that would cut better.

Did you make the replica?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That looks great Mr Cake. Is the cordage unprocessed willow bark? Or is it from the hazel branches you used? [I had a go at making cordage out of wild cherry bark a couple of months back, when they were easy to peel. Didnt work out well! So im gonna wait until I have a stinking headache, and use the rest to try to make a tea out of it. :D]

Last edited:

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
My saw cuts green wood fine, it also cuts kiln dried pine too, even makes a good attempt on oak, but from using it I got the impression that with green wood I could go with much larger teeth whereas small teeth is better for seasoned wood. I wasn't planning anything as drastic as the size of your teeth but somewhere in the middle between the two. But you seem to have the opposite impression, big teeth for seasoned wood and smaller for green? Well still early days of experimentation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE