Bushcraft gardening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I would say that guerrilla gardening is as close as your gonna get.

Perhaps if you managed to craft yourself out of a survival situation, established a camp and then a settlement you'd be in a position to start gardening. You could gather seeds from viable plants such as creeping thistle, pig nut etc and create a 'bushcraft' garden from there.

You'd be taking things from the wilderness and using them to your advantage at which point you'd deviate from guerrilla gardening which is about re-wilding conventional plants...

:dunno:

Rob

Noddy

Nomad
Jul 12, 2006
Away
.. at which point you'd deviate from guerrilla gardening which is about re-wilding conventional plants...

:dunno:

Rob

:) In my case it was more about planting spinach and tomatoes on unused building sites and that :):)

In fact, our allotment site was a bombed out paint factory. (Great soil!! :rolleyes::D Very organic - in the sense that it smelled of benzene :D)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Is there such a thing?

I wondered if anyone cultivates a little wild plot that they frequent - spinach, radishes, you know the sort of thing :)

I got an allotment last year. No-one had worked it for four years, so if turn over any soil I instantly cultivate a wild plot of fat hen/orache, nipplewort, nettles, rat-tail plantian and some wierd reason opium poppy. The nipplewort I am sick of eating, and I have starting paying the kids a penny plant to pull it up. if that sounds like slave labour, they earned £1.50 in twenty minutes. The plantain and the poppy will be kept for their seed. The fat hen and orache taste better than the spinach I have grown. It is good spinach it is just the orache is nicer. I have had a very succesful year with my weeds. And I grow enough chamolie and pineapple weed to make tea while I am there. I only guerrilla areas where nature isn't, I like wildness.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think if you are interested in plant ID it might be worth growing them so you could see them in different forms. Maybe even photography them.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I have really gotten into this recently (mainly through actually having time to do anything to my garden)

At the minute I have crab apple, cherry, blackthorn and pear trees growing alongside quite a few sallow which litter garden.

Allotment wise I am growing as a start this year swiss chard, little gems, radishes, spinich beet, leeks, carrots, strawberries, 3 varieties of tomato and broad beans.

I have found during the process of stripping back the garden all sorts of interesting things have come up. Mere`s Tail, Woodspurge and Mint being the most interesting.

I am trying to great a garden from wild species and so have been potting up lots of tubs which will then be placed out as they go to seed on bare earth to hopefully self set as well as collecting the remaining seed after a while and sowing on.

Currently I have poppy, corncockle, corn flower, heartease, oxe-eye daisy, burnet, teasel, foxglove, ragged robin, birds-foot trefoil, bell flower, St John Wort, Primrose, Cowslip, Self Heal, Yarrow, Lady`s Bedstraw, Sorrel and Cranesbill.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Soon im hopefully moving into my first house, we're looking forward to getting two gardens and utilising them to produce food and encourage wildlife in, feeders, nest-boxes & other things, I consider it to be a little bushcraft'y especially the more hands-on you get and make stuff yourself but then it doesn't matter what you call it, its a lifestyle choice.

Also in the long-run we will strive to become less reliant on the grid, collecting rain water, photovoltaics for electric & homegrown food etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE