Bushcraft Boat? Ref: Rivers TV Show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Have you considered a small sailing dinghy? Something like a GP14 for instance, GP for General Purpose 14 foot. Designed to be rowed, sailed and propelled by outboard motor. Will sleep two onboard, size dependant, and are capable boats which can be sailed solo or carry four, though I've seen more. Or a Wayfarer or Wanderer which are regarded as quality cruising dinghies, that said you could probably go to any sailing club in the land and pick up an old unloved Mirror for next to nowt. A surprisingly capable boat the Mirror and is car topable like a canoe.

I suggest you take a look at www.dca.uk.com for a few more details about dinghy cruising and camping.

I say this as someone who has paddled canoes for many years and would have readily agreed that a canoe is the perfect bushcraft boat, but it isn't really suited to open water and the sea. It can be improved with the addition of an outrigger in the manner of Proa's etc to make a very seaworthy vessel, but the modification might put many off. I'm now thinking that a dinghy is the way forward. They address many of the issues you raise with many having lockable waterproof chambers and sleeping onboard under a boom tent.

Food for thought, I hope.

Very interesting. I think you are raising more interesting options.

I think a mirror is a bit small, but the Wanderer looks interesting, but no build your own.

Something like this on the other hand is very interesting. julie-skiff

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Very interesting. I think you are raising more interesting options.

Glad you think so. I think it's a shame more folks don't use boats in and around the UK, though I suspect it's the thought of learning to sail and the costs that can involve which puts many off.

I think a mirror is a bit small, but the Wanderer looks interesting, but no build your own.

Something like this on the other hand is very interesting. julie-skiff

I know what you mean about the Mirror, but they are cheap way to get you on the water.

The Julie Skiff looks very interesting. Lots of boats like that being home-built in the states currently. This might be of interest too: http://www.smallboatforum.com/PDFfiles/RaidBoats.pdf shows a number of different boats with a few details.

Selway Fisher might be worth looking at too: http://www.selway-fisher.com/ lots of designs for the home builder.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Glad you think so. I think it's a shame more folks don't use boats in and around the UK, though I suspect it's the thought of learning to sail and the costs that can involve which puts many off.

I am not sure that is true? I think we are a big boating nation, but very defined, so you get the canoes, sea sailors, motor boaters, and tourists.

I can sail, but as I said I really need to take some real lessons in a real begineer boat to understand it, and move forward with it. I do think that if you want to learn to sea sail, paying out the money is a good idea because knowing what you are doing out there is such a good idea. I know a millonaire who has not gone all the way to the full ticket because the price put him off.

I know what you mean about the Mirror, but they are cheap way to get you on the water.

The Julie Skiff looks very interesting. Lots of boats like that being home-built in the states currently. This might be of interest too: http://www.smallboatforum.com/PDFfiles/RaidBoats.pdf shows a number of different boats with a few details.

Selway Fisher might be worth looking at too: http://www.selway-fisher.com/ lots of designs for the home builder.

I think why I like the idea of building my own is that no one seems to be making what I want.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
When you decide on what you want to build, please make a blogg of the process so we can follow.

Best of luck

Al

Will do.

Some more links that look interesting for people :-

Three articles about the same sailing canoes, very interesting, seems the idea got left behind because of the pursuit of speed.

modern-decked-sailing-canoes

WP Stephens canoe book

Dragonfly Canoe looks an interesting website to explore.

One thing to mention a canoe in sailing terms can be really big. They get yacht sized.

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Don't know if I've been at it long enough to offer advice on sailing canoes but first impressions are:

Wobbly when empty - not uncommon with any canoe really. I've already gathered a selection of lead flashing scraps that I ballast up with for day trips as the first couple of days out were a bit nerve wracking.

Narrow for sailing - it's not going to tip but it sure does feel like it. When you catch a gust it keels over alarmingly fast. I've only got a throwover lee board which does nothing for lateral damping. Fixed lee boards are probably better but I don't know by how much.
You also get a lot of rocking about over waves with the mast raising the COG, even a light aluminium mast. Again, it's much worse when empty.

Cold - you have to wrap up well. You're not paddling, just sitting in the base of the canoe. Amazing how chilly it gets when you're not exerting any energy.

Hatches are awkward - but you get used to them. No different to a sea kayak, you trim before you set off. At least you're in an open cockpit so you can trim on the fly using your own bodyweight. The model I've got has pedals for the rudder which limit your ability to do this quite a lot but so far it hasn't been an issue.
Although the bulkheads are watertight the combing will trap water and make recovery difficult. I haven't tried yet as I've just been trying to keep it sunny side up but as John mentioned it won't be as easy as with an open canoe. The mast and sail are likely to cause even more problems than the combing.

Fragile - 5mm marine ply just doesn't inspire the same confidence as royalex or the likes. You just have to accept that wading out to knee deep is the way to go. I don't intend to take it anywhere near rivers.

Sounds like a whole bunch of cons but catch the right force 3 and it's a joy to scoot along in.
An aquired taste I'd say and considering that an open canoe can be set up for sailing(and is far more versatile)......

Hop on a plane to Glasgow, I'll pick you up and drop you at Loch Lomond for a weekend with the boat, give you a chance to try it out.
The model I have is a 13'8" Macgregor, specs can be seen here.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Don't know if I've been at it long enough to offer advice on sailing canoes but first impressions are:

Wobbly when empty - not uncommon with any canoe really. I've already gathered a selection of lead flashing scraps that I ballast up with for day trips as the first couple of days out were a bit nerve wracking.

That was one of my thoughts. I bet with a little thought on a Canadian Canoe, with a stabilzer, you could make something that was a joy to sail. I would have thought a self build would make for a better boat. Get the feeling that the production people are making copies of what they were making years ago. Apart from anything else you could build in the board, and mast points etc.

I think the big thing that puts me off is that sailing is too much effort. Paddling does not require you to pay massive amounts of attention to it, so something like that makes more sense to me.

That is why I was thinking of electric/cycling power plus paddlability. I like the idea of something like a cross between a skiff and pontoon, and a little more high tech. Storage, and the ability to get out of, or keep going in the rain seem very useful additions as well.

Hop on a plane to Glasgow, I'll pick you up and drop you at Loch Lomond for a weekend with the boat, give you a chance to try it out.
The model I have is a 13'8" Macgregor, specs can be seen here.

Thanks for the offer will have to give it some serous thought.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere

Eeek! Lead ballast in a sailing kayak. I would use water filled containers myself, more bulky I know, but at least neutrally bouyant in the event of a capsize. Also allows you maintain the versatility of a canoe/kayak for portages etc.

Al

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I often sail my open canoe.
My mast is my canoe pole, my leeboard is my paddle,
The only alteration to the canoe was fitting (glue) a mast foot and a mast thwart instead of a plain front thwart.
The sail I made myself with a colapsible tent pole for a boom - and the sail doubles as part of my shelter at night.
As to ply being too fragile for rivers - I have run grade 3 rapids in my 4mm ply open canoe and the ply has never damaged...the fibreglass tape on the seams has busted before now - but not the ply! I would rate a well made ply canoe as possibly more robust than a glassfibre one....
Open Canoes are the most versatile of all boats for Bushcraft!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I often sail my open canoe.
My mast is my canoe pole, my leeboard is my paddle,
The only alteration to the canoe was fitting (glue) a mast foot and a mast thwart instead of a plain front thwart.
The sail I made myself with a colapsible tent pole for a boom - and the sail doubles as part of my shelter at night.

I think I am missing something in this you know?

Simple put, that makes a lot of sense. Why not build into a self build Canadian canoe, a hole for the mast, and a centre board slot. Would seem to make perfect sense. Maybe it is a gap in my sailing knowledge.

Interesing sail boat! This boat is roof rackable, and sea worthy. Not sure I would fancy it in the Irish but good luck to anyone who wants to try it.

While I was looking for this link, saw a couple of bizarre ideas. Take a canadian canoe, and turn it into a trimaran. Need the canoe, just unslot it, and paddle away.

As to ply being too fragile for rivers - I have run grade 3 rapids in my 4mm ply open canoe and the ply has never damaged...the fibreglass tape on the seams has busted before now - but not the ply! I would rate a well made ply canoe as possibly more robust than a glassfibre one....

Not seen any problem about ply canoes. Would have thought they are stronger than a normal wood one.

Have seen strips, sometimes wood, sometimes metal, on the bottom that must be to take the drag damage etc. Replace them not the bottom of the canoe.

Open Canoes are the most versatile of all boats for Bushcraft!

I agree, but I do think maybe a little more thought into design might not be a bad idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE