Bushcraft/backpacking/camping and toilet issues

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Hi All,
Now this is one of those topice that is not often talked about but is needed by everyone.

We are thinking of buying a small wood. This is so that we can get some 'nature' time. Me for doing bush craft stuff and Suz for painting and bird watching.
Now the ones we have looked at have no facilities (as I want it). But Suz is concerned about toilet facilites or rather lack there of. Now me, I would just use a compost loo or dig a hole.
So what do you all do for toilet facilities when out and about for a few days?

Water is not a problem as the ones we are looking at have a stream or two running through them.

We go camping but these are on sites with shower blocks etc.
Unless I can sort out a practical solution that Suz is happy with, i don't get my wood!
So HELP!!!
We could take a porta potti every weekend but is that really the solution?
Alan

Agree with Nat below, a proper privy with a door is the answer, really show off them wittling skills! What I tend to do is dig a 3' hole and use a combination of woodshavings/sawdust and campfire ash to cover 'the afters'. This covers up the smell just fine, pine shavings are prime for this (or any nice smelling resiny wood). When the hole is half full, fill it in and dig a new one I guess, marking the previous spot so you don't walk on it/dig it up again for a bit.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I've been to campsites that do this, and it's really very pleasant indeed. No smell, no unpleasantness. If (like me) your woodworking skills aren't to be trusted then start with a simple tool store shed for a couple of hundred quid, cut out part of the floor and build a seat in it - you could even add a proper toilet seat, loo roll holder, reading material...

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
maybe if she is really wanting mod cons build a double composter loo/shower with a solar shower in it. Like a double cubicle. you could make it look really good made out of wood

i dont know but you could prob make the composter, then have the water from the shower drain in to it aswell maybe. i dont know tho, just an idea!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE