Bushcraft Assistant Instructors Course 2012

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just had a look at the latest WSS newsletter in my inbox andit looks Joe and the boys are in the market for a few good men and women.

The WSS school certainly seems to be coming up with some innovative courses and I'm sure there's plenty of people here that fancy a possible career change or challenge.

Wilderness Survival Skills Assistant instructors for 2012:

"Are you harbouring a secret desire to become a bushcraft/survival
instructor? If so, and you think you’ve got what it takes then read on. The
Wilderness Survival Skills team are looking for a limited number of
assistant instructors to join us on the courses next year. Be warned, we are most definitely looking for a certain type of person and the selection day
is pretty hardcore (visit the Hunter Gatherer course page and look at the
selection process to get an idea of what might be involved

http://www.wilderness-survival.co.uk/the-hunter-gatherer/ ).

If you still
think that you’re at the required standard and would like to know more,
please get in touch joe@wilderness-survival.co.uk
"

So who's interested???

udamiano

On a new journey
If you're going to teach the skills you've got to be able to do the skills in a much higher level. and the ability to teach.
And lets face it! It is a survival course, not much point if you can't survive yourself, and then trying to teach other too, would seem a bit hypocritical to me

Good luck to those applicants

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looks truly horrendous. I can't imagine many things I would less rather do with 6 days...

I think the potential applicants only do the initial selection day? not the whole HG course , I think the selection day just acts like a living resume of what a candidates abilities are to show where they are in their journey and skill level.

Seems fair enough to me , you'd have a practical hands on for most run-of-the-mill civvy type jobs

Last edited:

joe o

Feb 14, 2011
Wiltshire
Hi everyone,

Thanks for putting this up Teedee and yes, just to clarify... it's only the Hunter Gatherer selection day that potential assistant instructors need to be able to complete, not the whole 7 day Hunter Gatherer course. The point is that they need to be at that level before applying as this is what we consider to be a basic assistant instructor requirement. Also, the selection day is free of charge for assistant instructor applicants who receive an invite to attend.

Here's a run down of what can be expected on the selection day ...

After an initial safety brief and quick tour of the local area around camp, it'll be over to you to complete the following tasks...

1. Make a bow drill set from locally gathered materials (you can bring your favourite bit of cord if you like) to light your cooking fire. No axes here, only knife and folding saw (your own) and you must collect all your bow drill components, tinder and kindling on site
2. Prepare lunch for yourself only. You will be given some wild game and will need to prepare and cook it. Hand wash facilities will be available. The remaining parts of the meal must be foraged from the local area (all foraged ingredients must be checked by an instructor before cooking and should be completely intact when checked for a positive ID). You may bring only one cooking vessel of your choice to cook this meal in but will also be able to make up extra cooking equipment from local materials. Don’t worry, it’s not Masterchef but you will be expected to explain your decisions on why which plants were gathered from a wild diet perspective.
3. After this, you will have a plant identification practical test and a written test on general bushcraft knowledge.
4. You must bring four items you have made from natural materials and be prepared to stand up in front of the rest of the group to give a short talk on any one of these items - it's construction, materials and componants, it's uses and any historical information or folklore attached. The four items should preferably be something made from flint, something made from buckskin/animal hide, something carved from wood and something woven from natural plant fibres.
There will be no formal ‘interview’ as such, we should get all the info we need while you work throughout the day. There won’t be an instructor looking over your shoulder but we will be quietly assessing tool handling safety, food hygiene, economy of effort etc. We also won’t be coaching you – you’ll either be able to do the tasks or you won’t.

Selection days will be running over two dates in the New Year so if this sounds like something you feel ready to devote your free time to in 2012, please get in touch.

Good luck!

Cheers
Joe
www.wilderness-survival.co.uk

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
Looks truly horrendous. I can't imagine many things I would less rather do with 6 days...

Oh I thought it sounded quite good fun. If nothing else having signed up for the HG course might be the push I need to finish my other buckskin mocassin (I wish).

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
No I just don't get survival skills training or "primitive living". The kind of "bushcraft" I like is Horace Kephart-style camping and woodcraft, with a big dose of canoeing, good outdoor cooking and traditional field archery. I always feel very strongly alienated on courses that have "survival" as their core ethos. That's just me however - didn't mean to side-track this thread.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Sounds like a great opportunity for someone to work in a very interesting subject.

joe o

Feb 14, 2011
Wiltshire
Well BCUK,

Not many takers for this despite hundreds of views. I'm surprised!

Selection day is set for the 8th Jan 2012. Good luck to all those who have applied

Happy Christmas (nearly)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well if it's free and you think you're up to it, why not have a go?

I'd have thought you would have been knocking folk back with a stick for this Joe:confused:

I wouldn't touch it myself, I find making fire with a bow drill is simply savage amusement, I can do it but really don't enjoy the process, particularly at this time of year!

Then again, there's no doubting that when you need to use a bow drill, it'll be when it's cold, wet and windy;)

good luck with the recruitment

all the best

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE