Bushcraft/Archery Seax...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Hi all, it's been a long while since I have posted anything so I thought you kight like to see a commission that is approaching finished in the 'shop...

My brief was, well, here are a few lines form my clients original email...

I am into a lot of outdoorsy stuff especially field archery, shooting and various types of camping and generally mooching around the woods. I also have an interest in things historical hence shooting a long bow. I also prefer traditional materials for my pursuit, so, in keeping with my interests I am looking for a knife that will have general functionality but a form in keeping with my tastes.....

... A historical shape as one would expect but given that the style was originally intended as an all purpose general usage knife then I think that it would cover what I would be using it for: food preparation, some woodcraft but nothing too delicate, possibly some skinning - likely nothing bigger than rabbits but who knows, digging arrows out of trees, general field use.

The email also contained a line drawing, the profile of the knife is as close as hand made gets to that original drawing...

Here's the knife...

004-1.jpg

Here are a few shot I got through it's making, starting from the finished blade...

015.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

001-1.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Blade steel is O1, nice patination, over time, is very important... The knife is around 9" overall, split roughyl 50/50 blade and handle, stock is 3.5mm at it's thickest and the grind is full and flat, the edge is convex'd and polished.

Scales are stabilised and dyed bone secured over black liners by a duo of nickel and copper mosaics.

Thank you, as always, for looking, Stu :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Beautiful as alway Stu, I really like the handle.

When Stu says it's close to the sketch, it's likely to me micrometre perfect - I know mine was.

I hope you can see the guy's face when he gets it.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Beautiful as alway Stu, I really like the handle.

When Stu says it's close to the sketch, it's likely to me micrometre perfect - I know mine was.

I hope you can see the guy's face when he gets it.
Cheers mate... I particulary enjoyed this build, I think because it evolved a little as it all came together, a couple of points form the original spec. changed every so slightly as we progressed, I like that :)

You well mate, I particularly enjoyed reading of your own good news too :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE