Bushcraft accidents research

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Fantastic, thank you to everyone who has answered so far, lots of really interesting responses. Some of the elaborations in the "other: please specify" sections make you wince slightly. I am assuming that if people have filled in the survey they also survived the injuries.

Collectively get well soon!

Julia

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
Thank you for your feed back.

I carry a first aid kit in my handbag[1]. But the survey isn't about the everyday world, I am interested in when people are out in the woods/bush/etc...

Consider also, if I cut myself while shopping in Sainsbury's there is a first aid kit and trained first aiders that can offer assistance (or I could just buy some plasters). If I do so in the woods, I'm on my own.

Julia

[1] 30l backpack I carry with me everywhere and use as my handbag

I understand your questions relate to bushcraft but having access to a first aid kit all the time is better, last time I had to stop massive amounts of blood loss the only thing I had was the clothes I was wearing, so when I ended up in hospital half naked it seemed a bit embarrassing. Funny how a just playing in the the park can turn out different than you expected.
You dont need a knife or an axe for things to turn ugly very fast. Even a first aid kit in Sainsbury's can take time to arrive.

sorry if I sound negative.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Great survey, I'd be really interested to see the information that comes out of this.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Done - It's kinda funny but when you tot up all the things that could and occasionaly have gone wrong on an a field trip or local bimble then what we do for a hobby should really be considered an extreme sport.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Done! I funnily haven't been injured at all really from harvesting berries to knife and axe work- it's football I can't seen to play! Anyway, I think only a small first aid kit is needed, a small one with mainly plasters, wipes and a few bandages, a life systems one, works well for me! :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cardiac arrest????

I'm sure you could have thought of something even more serious. :)

It's why I don't like those heart rate monitors you get on some watches. The last thing you want is the extra worry of the death tone as yer heart stops in the middle of now-where!:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE