Bush Craft, Mors Kochhanski

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I've just received and skim read through Mors Kochanski's book "Bush Craft Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival" ISBN 978-1-55105-122-2 in paperback bought off The Book Depository through Amazon @ £6.60 and £2.75 postage.
It is packed throughout with detailed line drawings explaining skills clearly. There are 12 chapters covering including Firecraft; Axecraft; Knifecraft; Sawcraft; and Bindcraft as well as chapters on tree type uses.
At the end are several pages of colour photographs.
I fully intended on having only a quick flick through but found the skills/information fascinating and so
have sat for a couple of hours reading the first three chapters.
I have identified several skills which will benefit me mainly in improving my self taught knife and axe use!
His advice on various fire lays and on shelter building will also be useful to me and I look forward to testing them out during the coming year.
My verdict so far:
Relevance to the UK 9/10
Information 10/10
Presentation of skills/info 10/10
Value for money 10/10

Regards Alan

Thanks for posting this Humpback. I am currently reading Basic Wilderness Survival Skills by Bradford Angier which is also a good book on bushcraft but I am already looking for another. One with variations on the skills in this one and one that goes more in depth into shelter building in other terrains (different from my woodland home area). I am hoping to find one that goes into desert bushcraft and sheltering techniques as well. Kochanski's book sounds like a good read regardless but does he go into shelter in different types of environments?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
very good book. covers less than ray mears's bushcraft but in much more detail. rays book has more about diferent environments such as jungle, desert and arctic which most people will never use. mors's book is strictly forest.

pete

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
very good book. covers less than ray mears's bushcraft but in much more detail. rays book has more about diferent environments such as jungle, desert and arctic which most people will never use. mors's book is strictly forest.

pete

This is the one I meant Pete ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Survival-Handbook-Resources-Navigation/dp/0091878861

Breaks down into the four british seasons with clear instructions for techniques etc.

If you haven`t read it already I suggest getting a copy.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Ray's book is good and Mors' is excellent too. They're probably two books on my ulitmate top ten list.
For me though Dan Beard's books are just as good if you don't have a problem with the 100 year old prose style.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just saw this thread and went and bought Ray's Outdoor Survival Handbook, probably get Mor's when I'm finished reading this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE