building my canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Looking at the shape of the end of your canoe, i'd say you won't need to cut the canvas, it should fit the shape nicely.
On the kayak, I had to cut it because it would not follow the hull and the deck curves at the same time. it was either the deck or the hull.

On this canoe, it follow the shape of the hull, no problem.
DSCN0202.jpg

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Started the seat today! :D I have carved the seat planks out of a length of Ash and its looking pretty dam good! :D Its all comming together now!
canoe11.jpg

canoe12.jpg

None of the seat parts are fitted propperly yet, they are just temporarily tied for now and im going to do the rest tomorrow because i have the day off college! :)

Hope you like it!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
She looks really, really good Jon, a proper canoe :) . Can't wait to see her on the water :You_Rock_ She just shows what can be achieved with simple materials, skill and ingenuity.

you're right, my canoe stayed firmly attached to the ceiling :D T'was one of them days yesterday: 1st, I dropped the kayak, 2nd, I cut myself sharpening a knife :( and 3rd, I broke a glass!!!! I should have stayed in bed :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
That's something that is more likely in a kayak, because you are in an enclosed space and if you turn upside down, you don't want anything that can contibute to trap you. Less likely with an open canoe, you are more likely to fall in the water. But it is better to be aware of the possibilities and take precautions. Treat the water with respect, take canoeing lessons perhaps if you have not done so already, wear a PDF. The waters in this country are quite cold so it is wise to take precautions.!! I suppose I am preaching. to the converted anyway. Enjoy safely :You_Rock_

There is a very good website concerning open canoeing, I have seen the link in these pages but can't think of the name at this minute, no doubt someone will know and tell us soon

I think I talk too much :eek:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
jojo said:
There is a very good website concerning open canoeing, I have seen the link in these pages but can't think of the name at this minute, no doubt someone will know and tell us soon

That would doubtless be Song of the Paddle. ;)

It's looking good jon - be very interested to see how you get on on the water with it! :)

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
The wood used for the seat is Ash, even the pins! I went down into the woods the other day, chose a log of ash and got to work. The wood is really strong and doesnt even bend the tiniest bit! Really pleased with that!

Ive done loads more today! :D Ive fitted another thwart and replaced one of the teporary ones! But now im out of wood so it looks like im going to be taking another walk and struggling back with my arms full! :rolleyes:

I have also tied all the ribs securely to the gunnels because they kept popping out when i was working on other parts of the boat and carrying it about! That was a big job and took about 2 hours i think!! I had to drill a tiny little whole in each rib (thats 44 drills!! With a hand drill) then i had to thread each whole with a length of string (44 lengths of string!!) and then i tied overall 132 knotts!!!! And now my hands are saw! but atleast thats done and dusted!

Will post some more pics when i can. Its too dark now! :(

Jon :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
That looks great Jon r :) For the length, 3 thwarts look fine to me. Are U using the middle one as a back rest? when are U starting the skin??? :D Ho, and I forgot to look up those paddles drawings, I'll do that at the W/E.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Need to get my canvas soon!!! I dont have much money at the moment because i just paid my parents back for the digital SLR i bought!! :rolleyes:

I got a £100 bonus comming in though from college! So that should do the trick!! :D

Do you recomend the 9.5oz then?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I would, yes. any heavier and you'll have a job fitting the skin on. It will be lighter, easier on the hands and will take enough paint, without getting too heavy. I'd buy an extra metre of the stuff, useful for repairs and so on :D , you could even put a extra bit along the keel area, say 2 or 3" wide to protect the skin from the ground, mainly on the stem area.. won't be long now to get her on the water! :D

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I have got to ask you a question about canoeing..

Is it like riding a bike? am i going to fall out? You see i dont know a thing about canoeing!! :lmao: and i just biult a canoe!!! :lmao: I cant beleive it!

Can you think of a name? Maybe the "Arbury Voyager"? "Arbury" because thats the country estate i live on. or should i give it a womans name! :lmao:

Hopefully it wont be too tippy!! But i cant wait to find out!! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE