building my canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
its taken about 2 and a half months now. Ive had the weekends and christmas holiday time to build it.

Im not worried about the rocker problem anymore! :) I can always add floats on either side like they do in the Caribian. I imagine they would help to keep it on track better too! :) Pluss there wouldnt be any risk of falling out! :D

All i want is some kind of boat which is home made by me, so that i can get out on the lakes where i live! :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
You have done well Jon r. It may not be perfect, but you built her yourself, from the idea to collecting the wood to putting it all together. It has a round bottom and it may not be the most suitable shape for a first canoe. But very few people can say they built a canoe themeselves. so , no you have not wasted you time at all :) After you finished this one, you can build another one with a flatter bottom, and from your hard won experience it will be an even better one. :You_Rock_

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I have built about 1/2 douzains of these little canoes, seem fairly similar to your drawings , made of the bottom panel and two sides. when I get my main computer back, If the photos are still there :( i'll post some photos.
They are nice little canoes to use. I think I still have the drawings, i'll post as soon as I found them if you are interested :) I built them of plywood, glass tape and epoxy.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Darn! I thought I had some photos of one of these canoes on Photobucket, but I haven't. I'll to wait until my main computer comes back from the mender, hopefully still with photos inside :( should be a couple of days, they said....... :eek:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
the canvas is on its way! i got the 9.5oz. Should be here after ten days! Ive also got some tacks to fit it with aswell! I couldnt find those copper tacks that you recomended Jojo so i got a pack of blue tacks, should do the trick! :)

Got half term comming up toon so i will be able to get on with things then! :D

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
The canvas is here and ive got to work on it already! Ive managed to get it pretty tight although there are a few creases i need to get rid of. When its done i will post some more pics. :D Its really starting to look like a propper boat now!

The next stage is to paint it. Should i use primer, and what sort of paint should i use?

Sorry its been a while since my last post!

Many thanks

Jon

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Once the canvas is fitted, spray it with water. The water will make it shrink a little, and close up the weave, so it'll fit the frame nice and tight. Then let it dry fully before you paint it.

Eric

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Use oil based primer, mixed with some white spirit, enough to make the primer thinner and easier for the canvas to absorb. And for paint, ordinary oil based house paint will do nicely. :) and you get to choose the colour :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Just go for the cheap ordinary house gloss paint (not enamel) used to paint things like door frames etc, As to the number of coats, just enough to fill the weave and make the canvas watertight and reasonably smooth, probably about 3 coats,avoid to paint too thickly. You can used fine sand paper between coats, say 120 or 180 grit sand paper , but only very lightly, just enough to get the roughness off! Try and avoid more coats than that because the thicker paint would crack more easily and make the boat heavier than necessary.. on the other hand, If it's too rough, it produces drag and make the boat slow.

Have you used something on the frame, either linseed oil or varnish before you put the skin on? Its a bugger otherwise! :D

To be honest I don't know if it says if its oil, I think some do, but not sure.I am not very good at reading the instructions :D I would not use emulsion though :rolleyes:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I didnt use any varnish on the frame because i thought im not a serious boat builder and if the ribs get a little dirty then thats tough luck. Im not taking the canvas off now to do that. :D My hands are already saw and ive taken the skin off some of my nuckles! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice Jojo! :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE