building my canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Ive been building it for about 2 or 3 weeks now but im finally getting somewhere now that its the christmas holiday! :D

canoe1.jpg

canoe2.jpg

canoe3.jpg

Reactions: rapidboy and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh nice one :D :approve:

Will you post step by step?
How did you bend the ribs?

Sorry to be a pain, but I really, really like seeing and reading about things folks make for themselves :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No preconceptions then :D
Parallel development throws up some interesting things too :cool:
What are you thinking of using to cover the hull?

atb,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Should do, but if it's the stuff I'm thinking of, it shrinks. It might be worth while contacting Whalleys and asking for the spec on the fabric.
The shrinking can be a good thing since it makes everything tight, but it can be a real pita if it pulls things apart :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Very nice, Jerv :) Keep posting the photos, I am looking forward to see your canoe progress and ultimately on the water.
I think you'll find the 15oz canvas is more like cardboard, and much more difficult to strech by hand, I'd go for the 9.5oz, particularly since your boat is 3metres long, much easier to work and would absorb less paint as well, making it lighter. You really have to strech the canvas a lot to ensure it won't sag when in the water.I would not worry about the shrinkage, it would not be enough to crush your frame. Before you paint it, spray some water on the canvas, it helps tightening things up.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
before i paint the canvas do i spray it with water and then let it dry or paint it while its wet?

Thanks for the advice jojo! :You_Rock_

I can't wait till its on the water! Is it likely that i will fall out at some point? I can swim but im gonna wear a life jacket just in case.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
You lightly spray just enough to damp the skin and let it dry. You can use Thompson's water seal as a first coat, it also help prevent mildew. That takes several days to dry before you can paint over it, with oil based primer . When the primer has dried but is still fairly soft you can rub it with your hand to smooth the coat and fill the weave of the canvas. You get a smoother surface that way and you don't need so many coats to get a smooth surface,less weight to carry :D.

I made a filler once called by my daughter: troll snot :eek: : talcum powder mixed with boiled linseed oil, a sicky looking paste but it did work quite well to fill the weave! It dried fairly quickly if I remember correctly then painted straight on it with one coat of primer and then gloss, in fact tha'ts on the kayak on the photos. You can sand between coats, but only very lightly so as not to damage the canvas.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
leon-b said:
how did you bend the ribs jon ?
leon

first i thought about boiling the ribs to make them bend and i even had a go. However that turned out to be too much of a faf :rolleyes:

So instead i cut the hazel fresh, made the ribs and managed to bend them without the majority snapping :) I just very gently trained them to take a bend.
Then i tied both ends of the ribs together so that they kept their shape. Finally i dried the ribs up against my radiator (amazingly they didnt crack!) When they were totaly dry after a day or 2 later i took the strings off and they kept their shape! :)

And there you have it, a rib!

However i think now im going to use boiling water and a towel to bend the rest to get them just the right shape.

Any questions please ask because it helps me too!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Im not much further than on the pics.

I chose hazel because i have plenty of it and it bends easy. Howeber i dont know if it is the best wood. I hear willow is supposed to be quite good. And if you have any Cedar then you're laughing :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Yes of course you can. It just mean you probably need more paint and the surface may be a bit rougher than if you use a filler. Just use some primer and straight on the gloss. Stretch the canvas as much as you can so that it is as tight as possible, wetting it afterwards will also help to tighen up a bit further.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Made some really good progerss today! Had to force my self to stop because my hands started to get a little saw :rolleyes:
canoe5.jpg

As you can see i have put 5 longitudinals in and i've made about 6 more ribs. Im just waiting for the new ribs to dry and then im going to fit them propperly. The whole thing is getting more solid rib by rib :)

canoe4.jpg

I will keep you up to date on any changes! :)

Reactions: Stuart

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Should work a treat! I look forward to more pictures as you progress and hope you have a good paddle when it is finished. Don't forget to name it, be careful when you smash the bottle over it!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE