building my canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, Jon, that's only my opinion, but if you never been in a canoe, I would seriously consider taking some lessons. It will give you more confidence to learn the basics in a controlled environment. And you probably will need some equipment, at a minimum a lifejacket. and the water can be perishingly cold in England, so better be prepared!
or take your canoe to some nice hot place with nice warm water :D
Other people may have other ideas!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Well, i dont want lessons, but i do have a life jacket ready and waiting. Im just going to practice in some shallows first! :eek: And not too far from home!

Have you got any do's and dont's for when im padling? any thing i should look oit for which could be a potential danger? :eek:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, Jon, I can't critisize you for that, I did just the same :D But I would wait a bit before your try, when the wheather has got a bit warmer! Also read a few good books on canoeing and paddling techniques and safety on the water.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You don't necessarily need lessons, but a few hours on the water with an experienced paddler will do wonders for your strokes. For a basic introduction, there's some good stuff over on Song of the Paddle.

Like Torjus says, your boat has a lot of "rocker", which will make it more difficult to handle than a regular canoe. Getting it to go in a straight line will be challenging, even for an experienced paddler.

As for whether you'll fall out... Most people do, sooner or later. ;) It's not particularly dangerous, provided you're within swimming distance of the shore, the water isn't too cold, and you have spare dry clothing. Oh, and provided you don't hit your head on a rock on the way...

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ooh, now there's a question.... Personally I hate double paddles, and can't get them to work properly at all. That's probably because I haven't tried hard enough, because I don't like 'em... Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. One of the things I like most about canoing is the paddle action - it's so smooth and natural once you get to grips with it.

The best thing you could do would be to find someone locally who has both, and try 'em.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
The Native Americans usually had quite a bit of a rocker on their canoes. Much more than the modern Canadian canoes, which are generally flat. Flat bottoms make for great stability, but are slower and less manouverable.

Long contact surface make for great directional stability and speed, but less manouverability.

Your canoe is from the photos: Very manouverable, but not very stable neither sideways or in the direction of the boat. I suspect it will handle like a coracle with some direction. :lmao:

I don't think using seats is any option on this canoe, you really need to sit on the bottom to be able to control it at all. Keep your weight as low as possible. Good Luck! You'll need it! :lmao:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Excellent canoe mate. You haven't been wasting your time at all. It's just that your centre of gravity will be much higher if you use the seat. Imagine if you will, one of those clowns you used to see with a big round ball for a base. You give it a whack and it rolls right over then comes back again, rolling back and forth until it stops. Now imagine the same clown with a flat bottom instead of a ball. Whack that and it isn't going to roll anywhere.

It's a bit like that with your canoe. Because of the amount of rocker, your canoe could very easily tip right over. It isn't going to need much of a whack - probably a gust of wind from the side will do it. Sitting on the seat will just make it happen more frequently. I'd say, get your centre of gravity as low as possible like balast in the bottom of the boat. Kneeling, knees as wide apart as possible and sitting on your heels will probably be the most stable position you can achieve.

If you want to make it more stable (flat bottomed) you could remove all the ribs between the front and back thwart and steam bend them so they have flat bottoms and more acute bends up to the gunwales. You'd need to do that now though before you fit the canvas. If you decide to go down this route, make the transition from round bottom to flat bottom over three or four ribs at each end so it is gradual. That way it won't look lumpy changing from one shape to the other.

The pointy ends can still be rounder as you already have them, but the bit where you will be sitting will be flatter and give you greater stability.

Hope this helps,

Eric

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
canoe17.jpg

canoe18.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE