building my canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
don't use glue, Jon r, you want the frame to remain flexible. You can put small wood pins through or tie the frames to the gunnell with something like artificial sinew, otherwise know as dental floss! you can buy artificial sinew but it the same stuff, except waxed and thicker. The frame looks quite beautiful. :You_Rock_

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
jon r said:
There are 3/8 inch wholes drilled into the gunnels. So i have got to carve the ends of the ribs to fit tightly into these wholes.

Does anyone recomend using wood glue and little nails to secure them better?

Not recommended. The canoe "skin," fastened to the gunwales, should hold the ribs in place.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
yea a bit further! sorry i havnt updated the thread in a while! :)

I have shaped all the ends of the ribs and have very nearly finished fitting the. Will have to take some photos and show you the progress

The next job it to fit a seat and thwarts.

Hav'nt ordered the canvas yet either! Still got to pay my mum and dad back for my new camera! :)

Progerss on the boat will slow right down now though because i go back to college tomorrow! :) Oh well atleast it's not like going back to school!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
iM HAVING A BIT OF TROUBBLE WITH THE SEAT IN MY CANOE!

The plan was to fix the seat planks to 2 long batons of wood at either end and then tie these battons of wood to the ribs so that the weight of my body is distributed across about 6 ribs (if you get what i mean :rolleyes: ).

But how can i fit the seat planks so that they dont stick out the sides of the canoe?

Jojo, you might know this one! :)

how have I managed to miss this thread??? :eek:

I am pretty much doing exactly as you are jon (building a canoe) since starting last November. The only difference is mine is less rustic in that I am building in a workshop with bought timber etc. Its also my first time, but I'm building along with the guidance of an old hand at this sort of thing. Your canoe though looks absolutely fantastic and is coming along a bit quicker than mine too. Keep up the brilliant standard and you are sure to have a fine vessel. :)

cheers woodwalker

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Torjusg is quite right, seats aren't something native American used. I have tried to do without them on a couple of canoes. The problem I had is that I wasn't born in that culture and my knees were really not used to kneeling for long periods I suppose :D and it was getting quite painful! (and don't mention my age please!! :rolleyes:
So if you still want to do without, good for you! The way I would do it is to fit the batten on the inside side of the ribs on both sides, cut the seat battens to fit on the inside of the ribs, drill a couple of holes in the battens and put pins that would lean again the inside of the battens, then to tie the seat quite tightly to the battens. does this make sense :confused: If it does not, i'll do a drawing and post it in the next couple of days.
In fact, you could also put the pins through both the seats planks and side battens use some hardwood such as oak and they should not break :rolleyes: ; if the battens are fixed flexibly to the ribs

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
jojo said:
Torjusg is quite right, seats aren't something native American used. I have tried to do without them on a couple of canoes. The problem I had is that I wasn't born in that culture and my knees were really not used to kneeling for long periods I suppose :D and it was getting quite painful! (and don't mention my age please!! :rolleyes:
So if you still want to do without, good for you! The way I would do it is to fit the batten on the inside side of the ribs on both sides, cut the seat battens to fit on the inside of the ribs, drill a couple of holes in the battens and put pins that would lean again the inside of the battens, then to tie the seat quite tightly to the battens. does this make sense :confused: If it does not, i'll do a drawing and post it in the next couple of days.
In fact, you could also put the pins through both the seats planks and side battens use some hardwood such as oak and they should not break :rolleyes: ; if the battens are fixed flexibly to the ribs

Sorry Jojo, I dont get that :confused: Pretty hard to explain this stuff i know. If you could post some pics or have another go at explaining that would be fantastic!

I think i would get pains in my knees too if i tried kneeling for too long! :(

Thanks again!
Jon

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Here is the drawing, Jon r. Not Michaelangelo, but hopefully clear enough. The seat battens sit on top of the long battens attached to the 6 ribs on each side, put some hardwood pins through both the seat and the support battens and then you tie them together. Don't put the seat too high in the boat, the higher it is the higher your centre of balance is and the easier it becomes to fall in!

ribbattensdrawing.gif

rinbattensdrawing2.gif

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
DISASTER. :( I have dropped my skin on frame kayak from the ceiling and punctured a hole :banghead: in it on the corner of a bench :( I am going to have to repair this! damn!! No other damage though.

DSCN0203.jpg

Close up view of the nailed canvas edge, it's about 1/2" and no fraying, nails about 2" apart. They are cut nails, not square riveting nails.

DSCN0201.jpg

A view of the inside of the kayak

DSCN0207.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
The whole thing is tied together with articial sinew, (not a bit of metal in it) including sewing the canvas.
Ribs are willow, the rest a mix of Red Cedar and Alaskan Yellow Cedar :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE