"Bruiser Knife"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
To completley derail the conversation (Im good at that) here is my big knife

Sep16232.jpg

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
(1) what do you think of A2 vs CPM30V? whic seem to be the choices given the task? Given I am a poor boy right now, I'm erring towards your A2 suggestion

(2) Antler or wood? Pros and cons of each?
I think, cash aside, I would err towards the A2 anyway... CPM S30V is great steel, no doubt, I just see it as more of a slicer. If I were making a "Bruiser" for myself and I could choose between the two, I'd have the A2.

Antler or wood... It really is a case of either or either... As long as we select the right wood it would be as hard wearing as the antler. Antler does have it's natural texture to add grip. We are also a little more limited with regards to design and size with the Sambar.

If you feel pretty open about which is used I'd say finalise the design then see which suits better... If either suits then that's cool, if the antler does not go we'll alter the design until it does then see if the trade off is worth it... Make sense?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay,

A2 it is - your judgements not let me down yet.

I'm torn between Antler and Ironwood. Aethetically I like antler but I wonder if it could be too rough on the hands after prolonged use? I'm realistically quite open but I've closed my mind to micarta now.

Right - what do you want next in terms of design?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll go for one tonight or tomorrow.....will need some advice on grind height etc. to make it tough enough with the convex

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I say - that looks rather good stu! Mice looking antler there too!

What do you think of the lines of it? Too long? Too narrow?

Are you happy to do a convexed scandy on it? Or ...........

I did have one rather interesting thought about it today but lets finish playing with the drawing first!

Red

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
I say - that looks rather good stu! Mice looking antler there too!

What do you think of the lines of it? Too long? Too narrow?

Are you happy to do a convexed scandy on it? Or ...........

I did have one rather interesting thought about it today but lets finish playing with the drawing first!

Red
It all looks good to me... I don't think it's too long or too narrow, but, when if it gets cut from steel we'll get a far better idea, if it looks a litttle off in places then, we'll sort it then.

The "Neb", the widest part of the butt end, might just want narrowing a touch... Again it can be sorted at the steel blank stage if that's ok with you?

Feel free to let me know of your idea, pm if you'd rather ;)

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
i know exactly what you mean and ill prove it:D

here is the idea i sent stu.

I loved the belly on the h1 so as you can see it resembles it a little, i didnt like the thickness though and the handle

Picture.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So, gaining something from the discussions about Leukus, one of the things that has always struck a cord with me is the Leuku sets where they are doubled with a Puukko

Something like this

j5629_LRG.jpg

I have an idea of a "companion set" of the bruiser and a small three finger knife with a 2" blade thats razor sharp for fine work. About 5" overall length so it lies flat to the bruiser blade in the sheath without intruding on the handle.

Sort of "Master Blaster" from Mad Max :D

What does anyone think?

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE