"Bruiser Knife"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
As it is a beater, would the rounder deeper head of the RB beauty give it that little more heft, and a little more depth to baton when required.

I like the design - I just prefer the RB blade, it's a stunner. I think it would carry the weight of the blade forward a tad, with a taper tang would it make a difference?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My thoughts were, in order,

:eek:

:(

:censored:

:puppy_dog:

:rant:

:yikes:

:nono:

:aargh4:

:twak:

Or in best "Little Britain" voice

I want that one

File0122.jpg

Okay, kidding over, I think the curve pre-supposes a chopping motion. There will, certainly be time when the knife will be used that way, but also times when it will need to turn itself to draw cutting, push cuts and boring and even slicing. I think the overall curve will detract significantly from those uses although it will improve chopping - but not enough to balance out the loss for me. I do think the original design is superior. I think a straight spine at least is a given for me. I,m in two minds about a forward swell to the bottom of the blade, but I do really like the design in this post.

Anyone wlse have a view?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

Its a great thougt and I love loking at alternatives. I know what puts me off though - I had a Wiseman survival tool rof a while that had a curve to it. It chopped like a demon but made my wrist ake in any form of push cut.

Red

Stuart,

The guard/ bolster has been elegantly designed to blend with the handle a la Red's bushcraft knife of your make. This could well be a signature of yours as I haven't seen that sort of sweep to the bolster that blends to the handle - but still allows a break (for decoration?) between the blade and the handle itself.

The only thing I would add is that the point is more of a clip than a drop or spear (could be the drawing - I've spent the last 10 mins with my headed tilted to the left at a 45 degree angle!) - Red's original design criteria (which I queried) called for the point to be central to the line of the blade/ handle.

As with the original collaboration - I await the results with baited breath!

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Stuart,

The guard/ bolster has been elegantly designed to blend with the handle a la Red's bushcraft knife of your make. This could well be a signature of yours as I haven't seen that sort of sweep to the bolster that blends to the handle - but still allows a break (for decoration?) between the blade and the handle itself.

The only thing I would add is that the point is more of a clip than a drop or spear (could be the drawing - I've spent the last 10 mins with my headed tilted to the left at a 45 degree angle!) - Red's original design criteria (which I queried) called for the point to be central to the line of the blade/ handle.

As with the original collaboration - I await the results with baited breath!
Cheers Fin, thanks for the input and the comments :)

I think it is the drawing that makes the point look that way, it was kind of rushed that drawing :rolleyes:

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I think if you want to build a cleaver then the down swept handle and weight forward design are excellent features.

For an all around bush knife and general purpose or multipurpose kind of tool those features interfere.

When you make a more specialized tool it looses versatility. The first design is superior in my mind. Of course, I would have to actually use it to be sure. :dunno:

Just out of curiosity what would a blade like that cost in 1095 carbon steel hardened and tempered, just the blade? Maybe not even finish ground.

PM me if you like.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
I think if you want to build a cleaver then the down swept handle and weight forward design are excellent features.

For an all around bush knife and general purpose or multipurpose kind of tool those features interfere.

When you make a more specialized tool it looses versatility. The first design is superior in my mind. Of course, I would have to actually use it to be sure. :dunno:

Just out of curiosity what would a blade like that cost in 1095 carbon steel hardened and tempered, just the blade? Maybe not even finish ground.

PM me if you like.
Just seen this, I'll do it now, pm you that is....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE