"Bruiser Knife"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have been toying for a while with trying out a bruiser of a knife. What do I mean?

Well, I think we all know that one knife simply cannot do all things. For most purposes I like my belt knives small, sharp and handy. My ideal knives are my PFK, Singeblister Hornet and Axelson / Ennockson custom - Scandy ground, razor sharp and under 4 1/2". I also have a Grohman large skinner, ans a smaller skinner for game work.

I suspect the "why" of this is that I have an "adequate" array of axes which do great duty for all heavier wood work - all my chopping and splitting needs are catered for there.

In the "big knife" stakes I have had a "Wiseman Survival tool" which was a huge knife and a greate chopper but just too heavy for belt wear. I own one of the group buy bill hooks which I have a mask for and in terms of sapling thick work and cutting thatch its great. I also have a couple of very long knives (9" blade type) - an antique Flyssa which I love and a Becker Brute which was silly cheap but I'm not sure that has a place really.

On all practical levels I have everything I will ever need so, this is really by way of idle speculation.

It does feel to me that there should / could be a place for a knife in the 6 - 7" blade area - small enough to be handy, big enough to baton through a 4" log. Tough and chunky but possible to belt carry.

Given its inteded purpose it would probably need to be convex to some degree :yikes:

Things that have fluttered across my mind would be something like a Fallkniven A1 (hate that handle though)

a1web.jpg

The Fallkniven NL2 (can't be doing with that handle either)

hunting-knife-nl2.jpg

Now the sort of lines I really like is the old Puma White Hunter

DSCN0657.JPG

The problem with this is I have a suspicion its hollow ground (I know the Puma Bowies were). A lot of them came part serrated too which is a non-starter for the purpose

I've toyed witha Leuku but I find the lack of guard off putting given the hard work for which I intend it

r_150_151.jpg

The nearest I could get to something really tough but still feasible for belt wear would be to get a bare A1 blade and have a comfortable handle put on it and a sheath made. Before I go down that route and bearing in mind my knowledge of bif tough chopping knives is limited (it would need of course to be paired with a handy folder), would anyone care to offer suggestions worthy of consideration?

Red

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Are you sure you're feeling OK Red ? First you "come over all 'Wayland' on us" and now your considering getting a convexed knife ? :lmao:

I'd recommend the Fallkniven A2 as I have one and love the thing. It's a little bigger than you are talking about, but I've not had it 'baulk' at a job yet and by jeepers it takes and holds an edge ;) If the handle really is that strong a no-no point for you and you don't fancy doing the job yourself why not see if someone on BB could rehandle one for tyou with whatever you wanted ?

Edit : If you like the RAT, I'd be tempted to spend a couple of quid extra and go for the D2 version ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm

The Rat7 is interesting

QN-RAT7.jpg

no cigar though (thanks Weaver). A bit too flat ground and slighly to "clunky"

I did look at the A2

A2-web.jpg

The thing is its just that bit too big - pretty close to the Becker Brute I already have

BK-BK1medium.gif

If this didn't have that great big fuller I might have said it was about right

specialbowie.jpg

Red

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
If an A1 is too big Red what about S1.

if you want a handle putting on one id be happy to do it for you mate.

knife1.jpg

this is something i made when i was in school (bet they wouldnt lt you now :eek: :rolleyes: )

found it in an old box the other day

its a bit crude from a 5.5mm landrover leafspring the handle is marine mahogany plywood it did have a secondary bevel but im restoring it a bit and putting on a convex to try the brass is loose etc but its always felt nice to hold
it think it was fro ma puma style hunter but elongated for more fwd weight and a larger scale hadle for man hands :lmao:
I did a full set of wooden patterns as i intended to have it made properly in the future

havent used or seen it for years and now prefer like most a smaller knife and a large Kukri or Axe

ATB

Duncan

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent - I knew I could rely on you guys!

Ash - I think the A1 with one of your handles would work very well indeed - its The A2 which I discounted (The A2 is an A1 on steroids :))

Michiel, I quite like that Socom - do they do a 6" version?

Stu - yes please! Love to see it at least - bit skint right now but.........

Dunc - I do really like that blade shape but as its the lost knife of the empire....;)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dunc,

You can borrow my underblanket no worries - I'll give you a shout next time I'm shooting down your way!

Red

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Excellent - I knew I could rely on you guys!

Ash - I think the A1 with one of your handles would work very well indeed - its The A2 which I discounted (The A2 is an A1 on steroids :))

Michiel, I quite like that Socom - do they do a 6" version?

Stu - yes please! Love to see it at least - bit skint right now but.........

Dunc - I do really like that blade shape but as its the lost knife of the empire....;)

Red

Hey red they have a 5,5" version. Have a look at http://www.barkriverknives.com/
Here it is:
SOCOM_5_Dark_Curly_Maple.jpg

I don't know if it's allowed to post a link to another forum, so I'll PM you another link.

EDIT: Do you have to have a guard?

Cheers,

Michiel

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hey red they have a 5,5" version. Have a look at http://www.barkriverknives.com/

EDIT: Do you have to have a guard?

Cheers,

Michiel

Not a guard per se but the only thing I don't like about my flyssa is the ability for my hand to potentially slide down the handle onto the cutting edge. Its not an issue with a small knife its just the indended rough use purpose says "good idea" to me. I'm not planning on fighting any duels :), so the small lower "curve" on the A1 or Puma would be fine - enough to stop my hand slipping. To be honest the guard on the Socom is almost too big in proportion to the knife - the little brass one on that other Barkie is about as large as I would want to go

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Some good choices.

The BK-7 and RAT are both good.

bk7vsrat7_1b.jpg

I especially like the Becker S30V.

Large leukus are well worth considering, especially because they are fairly light for being so big.

largeleukus1b.jpg

Brian Harrison makes an excellent camp knife:

bfhcampknife1b.jpg

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
I didn't manage the photos Red, not any worth seeing anyway... This, or a variant of this, is the tye of thing I had in mind though...

DSCN3873.jpg

DSCN3875.jpg

Or... Maybe something similar to...

DSCN3642.jpg

Or even....

DSCN3859.jpg

Sizes, grinds, materials... All can be "chopped and changed!"

I even have a pair of Desert Ironwood scales ;)

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I'm a total noob with this knife lark really, but anyway, I was lucky enough to get my hands on this Mick Spain knife and it has been incredibly useful in all sorts of ways: http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39403
I'd say tough and chunky but belt carry is a perfect description. I didn't realise how useful it would be before I got it. Above all it is really comfortable to use, even over much smaller knives. This surprised me. I now carry it most of the time I'm out. So I think you're bang on target with your thinking, Red, and based on my experience you may find you use such a knife more than you might think :) Oh, and I highly recommended Mick's work which is spectacular to my (albeit novice) eye, if you are going the custom route.

Chris

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks all. The input is really helping crystalise my thoughts!

I did consider the rat and BK7s Hoodoo - the full flat grind is putting me off though and the handles are a little to flat for me.

I like the lines of the Brian Garrison but the blade looks way over the optimal 6" to me?

The Leukus are definitely a no (as is the Mick Spain). Great knives but I want a way to stop my hand slipping down onto the blade under pressure.

Which leaves me with stu.

Middle one leaves me cold.

I like the top one very much but it would be so close in use to my Flyssa as to be redundant.

The bottom one is close. I like the lines of the handle very much (and the sheath oddly). Its a little to broad for me and I'd like a scandy / convex rather than that slight hollow grind. A tad more drop on the point too (you know my views on points stu ;)). Very close though.

I'd also like something more rust resistant than my favourite O1 - tough and chip resistant. Can anyone advise me there?

I suspect it will come down to a choice between that and having Shinken handle an A1 blade for me.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions.............?

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE