"Bruiser Knife"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Second one is better for reverse hold when draw cutting. May be a better fit for three finger hold too.

Would the Sanbar scales be rather squarish? Or can you grind down to an oval shape?

Which do you prefer?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, a secondary bevel is a flat scandi bevel, just a really really small one. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Huh?:confused:

I know you can have a secondary bevel on a scandy but mine are completely zero ground? Surely a completely flat scandy bevel is a primary bevel since the rest of the blade is not beveled? Or am I missing something here Terry (I suspect I am since you know more about this stuff than most!)

Second one is better for reverse hold when draw cutting. May be a better fit for three finger hold too.

Would the Sanbar scales be rather squarish? Or can you grind down to an oval shape?

Which do you prefer?

I think it has to be the second one Weaver - it just "works" on lots of levels.

I do want an oval profile - if thats not achievable or would look odd in Sambar I think wood would be better.

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Huh?:confused:

I know you can have a secondary bevel on a scandy but mine are completely zero ground? Surely a completely flat scandy bevel is a primary bevel since the rest of the blade is not beveled? Or am I missing something here Terry (I suspect I am since you know more about this stuff than most!)

I think it has to be the second one Weaver - it just "works" on lots of levels.

I do want an oval profile - if thats not achievable or would look odd in Sambar I think wood would be better.

Red

I was talking about the secondary bevel on a flat ground knife. And, I was just pulling yer leg mate. ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah got you - feeling slow here :eek:

You do know that abuse of the scandy is heresy worthy of a burning in my house? However given my bow drill technique, its unlikely to affect your life expectancy :D

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
According to AG Russell, it's 1085C HC Tool Steel.

There seems to be a discrepancy in weight between SG and AG. SG sez 14 ounces and AG sez 17.4 ounces. Either way, that's pretty light for such a big knife. I'm hoping SG is right. :)

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Evening all,

I'd like to hear a few opinions of this slightly modded "Beater"... Especially yours of course Red.

Slightly modded in as much as the whole knife has a more pronounced curve through it's length... I wonder if the curve might make the knife work easier and better given it's future role?

File0124.jpg

Thoughts please :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE