"Bruiser Knife"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Cpm 3v or A2 would be the steels to go for if you want something more rust resistant neither are stainless but both both resist rust surprisingly well. fairly tough as well especially cpm 3v.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The A1 is just perfect for ya. Especially with the convex edge. :lmao: :lmao:
Its a weird thing huh? Its also fair to laugh!

I can't stand heavy convexing on things like the F1 - its too short to baton through a decent sized log anyway so I just don't understand its function. To some extent though I'm looking for this knife to be tough and even crude to some degree (well very strong anyway). Thats why it has to have a longer blade - if it is going to be used for chopping I can't see the point in messing about with a 3 to 4" blade. Equally theres no point in something so long thats its cumbersome to carry since this would be a knife for those rare occasions when I'm not taking an axe. When it gets towards 12" or more OAL then why wouldn't I put a 14" axe in its place for chopping?. Its an interesting question in my own mind of whether the void is big enough to need filling. I suspect it is but I'm not sure

Red

Cheers for the input there on steel Ash - are there no "stainless" steels worth using?

Red

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Cheers for the input there on steel Ash - are there no "stainless" steels worth using?

yes there are, falkniven are stainless and tough. but i find my cpm 3v knife almost impossible to get rusty. its dosnt even turn purple when cutting oak and sweet chestnut.

in my opinion stainless steels arent tough enough for a knife the size you are talking about, and the next compromise is A2 and cpm 3v if your looking to have some stain resistance and still be tough. falkniven get around this by laminating. I am not sure if you can soft draw the spine of stainless blades for toughness, thats way out of my league:confused: and to the best of my knowlege it cant be done easily.

i havent any personal experience with A2 but it has about the same chromium content as cpm3v so should be roughly as stain resistant, but this may not be the case. it will be more so than 01 though.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
oh and i know Stu is using a german powder steel for the BB anniversary knife, maybe that would be suitable. you could always ask Stu

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Yep you have me stu;)

RWL34 has similar toughness to 01 due to it being a powder steel, is more rust resistant than 01 and holds a better edge:D

I had a brian sorensen blade made out of it, great stuff.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
for prying and chopping i still go for simple carbon steel and not 01 or stainless lol.

5160 or 1075 for me, tough stuff:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE