Broken Leg

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
Awww, I hope Val is now on the mend and feels better soon.

It sounds like you did just the right thing: I am sure Val is very proud of you, and was very grateful you were there.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
On a lighter note the paramedics were great. They had been tasked to look for a drunk in a local park before my call. They were happy to have something different to do.

I wouldn't buy those green paramedic trousers. Every couple of feet when Val was being moved I heard Ouch Ouch. They are not very Nettle proof.

I showed them the best way to crush Doc leaves and talked about bushcraft as i was wearing my BCUK Tee shirt.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What I find great about your portrayal is that in your head you knew what was the right thing to do in the situation, it's not what you wanted to do as a capable bloke but you did it anyway, that's a lesson to me. Evaluate and go with the right option for the circumstance, not mess about trying to sort it and then figure you made a mistake....Good for you mate.

:You_Rock_

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Tony said:
What I find great about your portrayal is that in your head you knew what was the right thing to do in the situation, it's not what you wanted to do as a capable bloke but you did it anyway, that's a lesson to me. Evaluate and go with the right option for the circumstance, not mess about trying to sort it and then figure you made a mistake....Good for you mate.

:You_Rock_

Nicely put Boss. :D

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Wayne said:
Eventhough I am well trained and importantly I practice my first aid skills regulary it was hard to control my feelings and deal with the situation dispassionately. I am annoyed with myself for not having a FA kit with me.

Really sorry to hear about that - hope it heals fast.

On the FAK front - as has been touched on - there wasn't all that much that you coulda/shoulda carried that would have made a difference. You did everything right - including calling in the paramedics. You weren't in a situation where it would take a day or so to casevac, there was assistance available and you used it.

I frequently chuck a small FAK into a daysac if I'm off out & about, there's at least one lives in the car(s) - but the one thing I *always* have on hand is a face shield & gloves. That way I can deal immediately with EAR & generally bleeds, even if I don't actually have dressings with me.

Get well soon Val!

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
Hi Wayne,

Best wishes to Val and Happy Birthday.

I have often gone through the whole did I do the right thing thought process but I can say that I would have done exactly the same thing FAK or not.

If there is anything I might be able to do to help out give me a yell.

Oh I almost fogot, when we met a couple of weeks ago Val suggested a Copper Kettle as a 7th wedding Aniversay gift. Would you be so kind as to pass on my thanks for this excellent suggestion it went down a storm.

All the best
Steve

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi Wayne,

Sorry to hear about Val's accident, I hope she recovers quickly.

As for dealing with the situation, I know many have said this before, firstly you did exactly the right thing, assessed the situation, reduced your concerns so you could focus on the task in hand and lastly realising the limitations of what you could do because of where you where you called the professionals.

Accidents happen all the time.

Thanks to your actions Val got the best care in the minimum amount of time without the situation becoming more complicated, I reckon that is all any first aider (instructor or not) can hope to achieve.

Best wishes

David

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Belated Happy Birthday Wayne and get well soon Val.
as a consolation,you FAK would have been useless unless you carry VERY strong painkillers.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
bushwacker bob said:
Belated Happy Birthday Wayne and get well soon Val.
as a consolation,you FAK would have been useless unless you carry VERY strong painkillers.

Even then,Nil By Mouth is sensible in these circumstances. :rolleyes:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Anyone heard how Val and Wayne are doing? Hope all well. I was just mindlessly staring at a file and they popped into my head so I thought I'd ask. :rolleyes:

Really should do some work in the last five minutes!

Pib

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Hi Wayne, just "stumbled" :sad6: across this post.

I had a similar situation not so long ago and did exactly as you. And I had an FAK. As it turned out my initial assessment of compound # was correct, and I would have caused more pain and damage had I messed about. You did Good.

All the best to you and your wife.

And happy birthday for t'other day

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE