Broken Leg

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Sorry to hear about the accident but like the above said, you did the right thing: splinting a leg is difficult at the best of times, and there is a very real chance of increasing nerve/artery damage, both of which can become life threatening. Well done

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
greg2935 said:
Sorry to hear about the accident but like the above said, you did the right thing: splinting a leg is difficult at the best of times, and there is a very real chance of increasing nerve/artery damage, both of which can become life threatening. Well done
Howdy Wayne,

Sorry to hear about the accident - please pass our love onto Val - she seemed a lovely lady when we met. If we can do anything for her (or you), just let us know

H&F

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Hope Val heals well and quickly.

Read your post just after getting in from walking the mutts out in the country. :eek:

It really made me think.We had nothing with us in the way of FA or exposure cover.Nothing.

The walk is a fair way off the road network and would give a 4x4 a hard time.
But,it's was just a dog walk.

Don't reproach yourself mate,you did the right thing after the event.I hope I can stay as calm and focused as you did if I'm ever in similar circumstances.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Wayne, sorry to hear about Val, how is she getting on now?

I know your ability in first aid, having a FAK with you would of not made much difference and it could have made things mush worse by giving you the confidence to rap her up and move her to the road.

You did the right thing mate, you assessed the injury, took into account of shock, made her comfortable and warm as possible. Summoned help and collected the ambulance personnel. There is nothing more you could have done.

Your post last night was written with anxiety and shock, if you needed a chat you would have been welcome to have phoned. How are you now?

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Wayne said:
I have just got home from the hospital. Val and I went for a walk in the fields near our home with the mutts. A lovely night loads of bird song. All sorts of spoor to analyse.

I am happily walking ahead of Val when i hear her scream she has fallen on the uneven ground amongst the the nettles and mud.

It took a few momemts to calm her down to find out what was wrong. She has injured her foot. I get her settled and then catch the dogs so i only have one thing to deal with. Now i can do a decent assessment. Its cold and windy in the fields and we are at least a mile from the nearest road and its getting dark soon.

I take a close look at her lower leg it doesn't look good. It's swollen and the foot is at an odd angle. I check the ankle it seems fine then above the ankle i can feel her bones are broken and hear the bone grind. S**** I have 2 muddy wet dogs a wife with a boken leg in pain and shock and I am a mile from tthe nearest road. My first aid kit is at home afterall we were out for a quiet walk before going home to celebrate my birthday in the morning.

First thing is too treat for shock so I put her on her bag and wrap her in my fleece. Now what should i do? I decided after some soul searching to dial 999. I am a first aid instructor and teach remote care. I could have splinted the leg and tried to get her to the road. My ego said sort it. However i knew that to do the bushcraftty thing would possibly have caused more limb damage. Giving an accurate location to the ambulance call centre via mobile with no map was dificult. I left Val to guide the amulance to her.

It eventually took 5 paramedics and a Sussex ambulance 4x4 to carry her 300 metres to where they could get a 4x4.

She will need surgery in the morning to reconstruct the bones in her leg.

Eventhough I am well trained and importantly I practice my first aid skills regulary it was hard to control my feelings and deal with the situation dispassionately. I am annoyed with myself for not having a FA kit with me.

Please consider how you would deal with a similar situation and get some training in First aid.

I'm really sorry to hear about Val's injury. I hope she is soon on the mend. Sounds to me like you did everything right

I believe in the past I've griped some about folks who call for the rescue squad. NEVER when it is a legit problem. You had a legit problem, and you handled it the way I wish everyone did. Don't beat yourself up.

Being caught suddenly in an emergency situation - and one involving a loved one - it is very had to treat it "dispassionately." Even after 20+ years of dealing with emergency situations - I sometimes get caught.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Val.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Sorry to hear this Wayne, I wish Val all the best and a speedy recovery.
She should now sit in front of the telly with a G & T while you do the cooking, Garrick does the ironing and Steve does the washing up :D .................Jon

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Sorry to hear of the accident.

I believe you did have a first aid kit on you ie phone. You administered first aid ie treatment for potential shock, reassurance etc. First aid is exactly what is says on the tin. You don't have to have plasters/bandages/splints (although it helps in some cases). Just knowing how to handle the situation and making the right decisions at the time might be enough.

Hope your wife gets better soon.

Pablo

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Jon Pickett said:
Sorry to hear this Wayne, I wish Val all the best and a speedy recovery.
She should now sit in front of the telly with a G & T while you do the cooking, Garrick does the ironing and Steve does the washing up :D .................Jon

LOL imagine Steve and Garrick dressed in butlers order.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I wish I'd read these posts in a different order!
Already wished you a Happy Birthday and then read this afterwards
Not a good way to celebrate and sorry to hear about the accident

As others have already said - your mobile was the best first aid kit you could have had at the time

Do you think the pair of you would have coped with the dogs and mud without additional help? - I know I wouldn't have been able to

We wish you both well and a speedy recovery for Val. At least you'll be able to see who gets the most cards :)
(A birthday you won't forget in a hurry)

:sadwavey:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Thanks guys for the kind words and support. This community is really a special place. :):):)

Val has had the operation this morning and it turns out to be quite a serious and complex fracture, she cannot simply do things by halves.:eek:

What really shocked me was the speed a simple activity like a walk along a hedgerow in lowland Britian could turn into a potentially life threatening situation. If i had been out with Bushcraft in mind i would have had a FAK and spare kit to ease the situation.

leon-1

Wayne said:
Thanks guys for the kind words and support. This community is really a special place. :):):)

Val has had the operation this morning and it turns out to be quite a serious and complex fracture, she cannot simply do things by halves.:eek:

What really shocked me was the speed a simple activity like a walk along a hedgerow in lowland Britian could turn into a potentially life threatening situation. If i had been out with Bushcraft in mind i would have had a FAK and spare kit to ease the situation.

Wayne, it is the same old story mate, the best laid plans of mice and men and all.

In the end you did what you could (what was right) and that is that, you cannot second guess chance. I have carried FAK's in my kit for a long time (I always carry a daysack with a number of bits in it), with my luck the one time I take it out or leave it behind I will have an accident.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Wayne,
Having just read through the entire thread, I'm going to go against the grain and say you should beat yourself up about this ;)
Somewhat dissapointed that you didn't whittle a pedal powered all-terrain wheel chair in true Scrapyard Challenge fashion to whisk Val out of the woods and into A&E before the ambulance crews had time to react. Though I must say that the warmth and reassurance you gave, would have been all that most of us could come up with in the situation.

Please pass on our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

You know that I'm trying to lighten the mood here right?

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE