British Military Modular Sleep System - Riddle me this Batman!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That would seem sensible in a civilian bag. A military bag would usually place a higher priority on being able to get out of the bag for emergencies though.

They not only line up but you's be taught to only zip one of them (for the reason stated above)

short and sweet,

If the zips do not line up and one sleeping is open it would keep you warmer the offsetting of the zip ? ......

Yeah it would IF one were left "open." However when I said you're taught to only zip one of the zippers I should have explained the sustem better. When you stuff the inner bag into the outer one, you also snap them together down the length of the zippers. Zipping just 1 zipper closes both bags. Likewise when you stuff them into the bivy bag; the one zipper closes all 3.

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
Going off slightly on a tangent, given the choice which would be the best bag to buy, the issue lightweight bag or the Snugpak jungle bag?

I'm thinking of getting a summer weight bag but can't decide which to get, any advantages of one over the other? I want to the ability to completely unzip the bag so it can be used as a quilt when necessary.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Going off slightly on a tangent, given the choice which would be the best bag to buy, the issue lightweight bag or the Snugpak jungle bag?

I'm thinking of getting a summer weight bag but can't decide which to get, any advantages of one over the other? I want to the ability to completely unzip the bag so it can be used as a quilt when necessary.

Neither,

Unless your issued them free, if not then go with the older pattern jungle bag. Cheaper, a bit warmer in my opinion and more comfy. The bug net on the snugpak is a pain in the arrse and the new lightweight bag, while very good, isn't as good when used as a quilt due to its shape, but is warmer because of it.

Just be careful when thinking of them as summer bags for the UK, even at the height of summer jungle bags can feel cold.

Old junglie bags can be had for about £20 now.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
Interesting response, thanks.

I've looked at the bag you mention but what put me off it was the inner fabric, it reminded me of net curtain and looked like it would be 'sweaty' :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE