BRITISH MODULAR SLEEP SYSTEM - Side opening sleeping bag liner.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've just bought the British modular sleep system (MSS). Having had both my bags (Summer Vango Ultralite 900 circa 2001 and my Field and Trek Down bag circa 2001) out last year they were lacking and I was quite chilled on one occasion. The MSS is, as has been well documented, a copy of the Carinthia bag. The light weight bag fits inside the medium weight bag to give you a four season option. There are firm warnings not to wash the bag often and when washed 20 times turn it in for an exchange. I don't plan to wash it often and got the liner as part of the purchase. The thing is the liner is shaped to fit the medium bag with tie in's and zips. The lightweight bag doesn't have any such things. So my question is does anyone know of a side zipped, left side opening, sleeping bag liner? I can make one but wanted to know if there was any known before we get my Husky out.

Reactions: Ray Smears

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, it's a European original product, not such a cheap copy from the other side of the Channel.

:biggrin:

Doesn't Snugpak offer such a thing?
They have a lot of side zipper sleeping bags, and even if it's made in Britain the stuff is surprisingly affordable for the quality.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
We have in Germany a strong competition between shop chains for very cheap clothing.
Kik, Zeeman, Woolworth but also Aldi and Lidl sometimes offer very thin, very light, very cheap polyester fleece blankets.

I think one can easily make such a liner out of one or two of those blankets. You just need someone who owns a sewing machine. If you don't have to pay the work and don't add a zipper, you surely get the whole thing for 10 €.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Miltec and Nordisk offer cheaper fleece sleeping bag liners in mummy shape with left zipper.

Unfortunately their products didn't convince me in any way. Buying that usually means throwing money out of the window.

Reactions: Bert

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Cheers chum. I was looking for a simple quick solution but I'll likely buy a reasonable cotton one and add connectors of some sort to the bag. Thank you.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I've just bought the British modular sleep system (MSS). Having had both my bags (Summer Vango Ultralite 900 circa 2001 and my Field and Trek Down bag circa 2001) out last year they were lacking and I was quite chilled on one occasion. The MSS is, as has been well documented, a copy of the Carinthia bag. The light weight bag fits inside the medium weight bag to give you a four season option. There are firm warnings not to wash the bag often and when washed 20 times turn it in for an exchange. I don't plan to wash it often and got the liner as part of the purchase. The thing is the liner is shaped to fit the medium bag with tie in's and zips. The lightweight bag doesn't have any such things. So my question is does anyone know of a side zipped, left side opening, sleeping bag liner? I can make one but wanted to know if there was any known before we get my Husky out.
Snugpak...not zipped.

Reactions: SCOMAN

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
nothing wrong with a zipped bag, as long as the installed the zip according to the rules of the art. like in the Dutch M-90, sturdy zip, on the inside a huge anti draft "sausage". I like as well the way they attached their sack liner, very clever!
on the inside a cloth (sturdy and soft) lints with some poppers, and at leg height some more (knee height to the feet) on the back side of the bag, so you are sure that the liner does not move too much in relation to the sleeping bag.
and in the front, the liner is attached to a ribbon with snaps on both sides of the zip.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
And another thing Erbswurst, why would anyone have a fleece liner in a summer bag?
I would imagine a cotton or polycotton? liner would be preferable here?
and then at least one who would be attached in a correct way, not that awful way Carinthia and Fechsa do that!
To get correctly in those sacks takes you at least 10 minutes!, even after your nightly wee.

• Haha
Reactions: Laurence Milton

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The fleece liner will add warmth, the cotton liner will protect you against melting plastic fibres if you get into the fire.
In my opinion a cotton liner is a good idea in really hot weather, because you also can use it solo. But I don't carry it around.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Edit:
We can't discuss here cotton fabrics, Bert.
Everybody knows that cotton kills.

Due to the blue jeans fashion we already nearly died out.

Reactions: Ray Smears

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Right!, and with all that nylon and whatever in those "Modern" bags, you'l be sealed in like a metzwurst from the butcher.

I just received my MSS USA, and a thing I noticed is that while sleeping, every time you move inside the bag there are sparks, due to static electricity.
has anyone here encountered the same?

I'm not sleeping too well in these bags, nor the Fechsa nor the MSS.
They are warm enough, yes, but for me I guess it has to do with ampel room to move, and the nylon tissue?

Reactions: Crowe

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Just about...... all sleeping bags will have synthetic linings, although one can get silk or pure cotton liners...or make one from an old sheet?
That aside, Snugpak do wider sleeping bags with the fixed in some, removeable in others, "expanda" panels?
I am broad and use one in my Softie15 4 season bag. Really happy with it.........

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Ok, but the sparks in my sleeping bag, just last night was a first for me????
Oh, and it is not a liner as in one you can get out, it's just the tissue with which the bag is constructed, as in : outer layer, insulation, inner "layer".

Last edited:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Ok, but the sparks in my sleeping bag, just last night was a first for me????
Oh, and it is not a liner as in one you can get out, it's just the tissue with which the bag is constructed, as in : outer layer, insulation, inner "layer".
Which is why I suggest using a non conductive (cotton) liner?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
But if it's a MFH it's a cheap Asian made copy. All MilTec or MFH stuff is disappointing.
I suggest to send it back and to buy a Snugpak SF or Carinthia system if you don't like Fecsa.

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
Hi.
I have a cheap fleece side opening liner that I bought in some obscure camping shop somewhere once. Just google side opening sleeping bag liner. Something will turnup,eventually.
Ironically,aThis evening,I have just put a brand new Fesca liner in my old pattern 58. The ties line up almost perfectly.(size Large). The bag is like new now.
Regards
Ray

Reactions: SCOMAN

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE