British Military Modular Sleep System - Riddle me this Batman!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
OK,

So i've got myself a layered sleep system using the latest British Modular Sleep system. I've just this morning got the medium weight bag and I've also got the Snugpak version of the lightweight bag (the Snugpak Jungle Bag) - according to the MOD PDF guide of the black deployment kit bag this is issued in lieu of the Official Lightweight bag in some circumstances. Both bags share the same characteristics as far as I'm aware.
So someone explain this to me....

Why does the lightweight/jungle bag have a side zip when the Medium bag and the bag liner have a central zip? Talk about a faff to get in and out of when you use all 3 elements together.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Yes, does make it more of a faff - the US MSS one is much slicker as the zips all line up (and connect together!)
I guess they would say having the zips staggered keeps it warmer?
By the way, the lightweight modular bag is very, very nice - worth getting if you see one for a reasonable price. Thicker than the jungle bag but still packs down small.

(edit - cross posted with John!!):)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Off-set zips to reduce heat loss through the openings.

That would seem sensible in a civilian bag. A military bag would usually place a higher priority on being able to get out of the bag for emergencies though.

Yes, does make it more of a faff - the US MSS one is much slicker as the zips all line up (and connect together!)....

They not only line up but you's be taught to only zip one of them (for the reason stated above)

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
TBH The inside zip baffle on the medium bag zip is substantial, and doubled up as you also have the front storm flap as well. I know you can use the lightweight bag as a blanket when opened out but from a speed of exit POV (crash out or stand too) , it doesn't make sense. I bet the designers never thought that squaddies might want to get out of their doss bags in a hurry.

I was thinking of getting the propper lightweight one anyway as my boy will need one sooner or later. Used the jungle bag at the weekend in my hammock. Was quite warm when used with a US poncho liner. Pity My feet got cold due the the sleeping mat not being full width.

I've just sent for a liner to complete the set.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
On a more positive note,

I've just discovered that my new Medium weight bag has come with a ZlideOn repair zipper. It's located in the small pocket on the inside of the zip baffle near the top of the bag. Having been subject to sleeping bag zip failure many years ago - whilst camping out in -13 deg C - I can tell you this is a godsend and a real piece of fore thought. Almost makes up for the lack of a speedy exit, which TBH unless the **** I wont be crashing out of a doss bag any time soon.

We should all lobby our preferred sleeping bag vendor to make this a mandatory inclusion.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
It does make the bags lose less heat as stated before. I have the carinthia bags, and they have offset zippers too. I tested it, and getting out isn't an issue, just push and they open very easily, both of them. Just sit up and push your arms out, and it opens. It's in the construction of the zippers whether it opens easily or not.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Off-set zips to reduce heat loss through the openings
short and sweet,
That would seem sensible in a civilian bag. A military bag would usually place a higher priority on being able to get out of the bag for emergencies though.

They not only line up but you's be taught to only zip one of them (for the reason stated above)

If the zips do not line up and one sleeping is open it would keep you warmer the offsetting of the zip ?

. I sould think the side zip on the summer bag is full length, unlike front openers that are 1/2 length(?) this means the conditions that the summer bag is designed for enable you to just keep your feet warm and regulate the temp with the zip in the heat. Thats why they zip up from the bottom too. Why the winter bag is different who knows. If it is speed of exit surely a single non faffing bag taylored to the conditions is going to be faster, like stripper attire velcro would be best.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Well - I just ordered another Medium weight bag for the boy (actually he's having the first one as it's the normal sized bag - the next one coming is a large) complete with the bivvi bag and liner.
I'll probably get the lightweight bag later to complete the set.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The new lightweight bag is meant to replace the old jungle bag, the zip runs down the side so it can be opened to be used as a quilt or for more ventilation when it gets really hot. Makes it easier to dry too.

Tonyuk

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
The new lightweight bag is meant to replace the old jungle bag, the zip runs down the side so it can be opened to be used as a quilt or for more ventilation when it gets really hot. Makes it easier to dry too.

Tonyuk

The 'old' Jungle bag yes. The 'new' jungle bag is the Snugpak one. It's shown here;

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Black_Bag_A5_booklet.pdf

Page 23, the one on the right is the Snugpak. Not sure under what circumstances this one is issued in lieu of the lightweight bag. Been out of it too long to know.

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Thanks for the pdf. much more interesting than I'd thought it'd be.

Anyone know the make of the multitool and torch? As I'm assuming they'd be cheap but half decent quality.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The 'old' Jungle bag yes. The 'new' jungle bag is the Snugpak one. It's shown here;

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Black_Bag_A5_booklet.pdf

Page 23, the one on the right is the Snugpak. Not sure under what circumstances this one is issued in lieu of the lightweight bag. Been out of it too long to know.

Yep and its essentially the same design with a different filling, lining and a net for bugs. The new lightweight bag is based on the tropen by carinthia, and the medium on a defense 4. The tropen / lightweight bag still has the zip at the side, but is a bit more of a mummy cut to fit better inside the medium bag. If you plan to use both together you'll need to get the large size, as things can get "tight" in there.

Tonyuk

andyluffs

Sep 29, 2016
Devon
Thanks for the pdf. much more interesting than I'd thought it'd be.

Anyone know the make of the multitool and torch? As I'm assuming they'd be cheap but half decent quality.

The torch is SILVA, not very good, except for the red LED coming on at first press. Not sure of the torch but Gerber same as the multitool IIRC.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE