British Army Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
IIRC someone mentioned on a previous post that the reason Sheffieldknife describe it as "to MOD spec" is because they used to have the contract with the MOD. Now because they lost the tender they cannot claim to produce goods "as issued", now I may wrong, and hopefully someone can either collaborate or dismiss this. However they do have a good reputation and as far as Im aware, their goods are not made cheaply abroad and imported......
Shankly

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I was looking at them today at the Military Odyssey show at Detling.
I wasn't that impressed. Yeah, they seemed like good knives, but a jack of all trades and master of none - not quite heavy enough for chopping, and too big and chunky for cutting and carving. They could do all those jobs adequately, but an axe is better for chopping and a thinner bladed knife is better at cutting and carving.
Think I'll save myself some money and not bother now.

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
Durulz, I think your absolutely right in not spending the cash on something that doesn't feel right, and I would have to agree in your summary of the knife, an axe is a technically a lot better at coping with the big stuff and a smaller blade is better to carve with, but as with all things sharp - you either love it or hate it. The main thing is you handled the knife before making the call. Thankfully there are plenty of other options out there to choose from... and now that you have struck one off the list there are only xy and z to try. Good luck. ;)

Shankly.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, it stands to reason. Knives are for cutting, axes are for chopping, so this knife or any other are not gonna be the one for chopping duties. It was designed for soldiers to dig holes in the floor, clear scrub and cut wood for shelter building and fires. Its weight is due to the fact that it has been made to be robust, soldiers can break almost anything. It requires little maintenance, soldiers have enough things to care for as it is. It's cheap, does what it is meant to do and does it well. I also believe one of the criteria was to be able to use it to cut through an aircrafts' skin to aid escape, I don't suppose many of us will be using ours for that though!

As knives go, I've seen people using a lot worse!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you can get on British Blades, speak to Andy as he can get the MOD blades for under twenty quid. You can then modify them or bang your own scales on as they are. I believe the grind is slightly higher then on the issued versions, but it is still a mean knife for the money.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i have had mine for a while now and great around a camp as a chopping knife or heavy work knife. as you can see from the photo its had a little work done to it.
DSCN1284.jpg

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I also have one, part way through a pretty substantial modification that is a year in progress so far! I do a bit and then forget it for a few months! It'll do the job and keep on going for ever more. A freinf of my brother also modifies them by grinding the first three inches or so down into a straight clip point, moving the point of the blade down somewhat. they look pretty mean that way!
Any pics of your mates version???

landyandy

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2009
west yorkshire
yes i've got one too ,and yes it's big and numb but you can cut a tree down with it if you have not got your axe.had mine for about 10 years and still use it , not the same as my allen wood tho but dose the job.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I've had one for 20+ years. They are a great never die heavy brut of a knife. Great at hacking, smacking and all the less gentile work you might do. You can't lose it as it's so heavy that when you don't have it on your side you lean the other way.

It always goes out with me but you totally need a small bushy knife as well unless you just like hitting things.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That's absolutely my response too! I love mine (WS with rifle screwed grips, had since issued in 70's) but only use it as a "chopper" when an axe is not available. Now I generally use my Cegga or GB mini.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I'll have to get my brother to send one through. I'll ask, but it could take him a long time, I'm still waiting on him exchanging a basha for one of the guys on here who swapped me some DVDs about a year ago! :eek:
Oh well it hurt non to ask :D

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Yet another vote here for the fugly thing. I've got a webtex version and it's rough as hell but does the job.
Will do it even better once it's "converted"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE