British army issue hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

Mooney

i would say definately dont buy it, i bought one of these simply because of the price but tbh its more of a stretcher than a hammock. (their quite short aswell)

You'd even be better off with those mini hammocks made out of netting, they are quite good value for the price, about £10.

leon-1

Mooney said:
i would say definately dont buy it, i bought one of these simply because of the price but tbh its more of a stretcher than a hammock. (their quite short aswell)

You'd even be better off with those mini hammocks made out of netting, they are quite good value for the price, about £10.

They are okay, but IMO you can get a lot better, look for DD hammocks on ebay or get in touch with MagiKelly here as both are better designs. They are actually multipurpose, they can be used as stretchers or as the sleeping platform as part of an A frame as well as being a hammock.

There is a definite knack to sleeping in one as more than a few could testify to and many could also testify to finding themselves on the floor in the middle of the night as well.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i bought one of these 2 weeks ago, becasue of it's multi purpose uses.
(you can still read my thread)

as a hammock, it is very thin, you must use spreader bars to make it atall comfortable, then there is the age old balance problem, if you roll over you might fall out, i am around 15 stone, whilst testing mine 2 of the 4 brass "D" rings snapped, and i know that you get soldiers bigger and heavier than me!(though fitter!)

as a "pole A-Frame bed" it's ok nowhere near as comfortable as my hennassey hammock. also you need to be able to either cut, or carry 6 thick poles, and i would suggest a handfull of paracord or ropeas well (for lashing the poles!).

as a stretcher, a can't fault it, it's a good design with the option of tape handles and pole sleaves.

one other unusual use i have found is when tent camping on a slope i used my hammock to stop me slipping down the tent. :lmao:

incidentally i have found another use, the issue insect net has exactly the same dimentions and works well with the hammock, i have added 8, 3" laces to the bottom corners and a third along the skirt, this keeps the net from moving and if fixed, on it's own i have used it as a groundsheet bug net combo(with a roll mat inside), which i do reccomend(the whole thing including roll mat rolls up to about the size of a roll mat!, which hads made it worth while.

as a hammock :yuck:
as a pole bed :dunno:
as a stetcher :35:
as a bug net/ groundsheet combo :approve:

i will use it for work as i want to have a stretcher handy, but i like the other options if my hennassey hammock fails!

incidentally i cut out the internal pocket straps(to hold head/feet? :confused: ) it now makes a decent pillow pocket

as long as you are aware of it's limitations,
it's ok, "Jack of all trades but master of none"
many functions but low in the comfort area.

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
hi folks, ex 1para here, M.O.D.hammocks are crap, i use 2 british army issue basha sheets, one as a cover, one as a hammock, it takes a bit of practise to get it as a hammock, but blokes like us seem to like the trail and error way of life, lol, coz it can be used as a streacher the basha sheet lends its self to experiments as a bed/ hammock, give it a try, they are the best thing the army ever came up with,
:D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
funny you should mention that,
I tried it myself a couple of years ago in my MOD basha(with the handles).
and i too think there is room to improve the idea!
i had min in such a way like a pea pod when laying down you could close the top and make it waterproof!

good idea!

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
due to other comit ments i cant get out into the wilds for some time,,,,,,,,,,,but would love to here if you can refine the issue basha hammock thing, lol some pics would be nice too, so let your imagination run wild, lol, lol, :D :lmao:

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
sorry not trying to steal your thread but...

i have changed my mind i was going to get a dd hammock but i am going to save my money and get one of these

are they any good?

thanks leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, they get you off the ground! The problem is that any insects can just fly in through the large holes thus making a mozzie net pointless. It'll do the job and could double up as a gill net in a survival situation (illegal otherwise!), but I would speak to magikelly, folk seem to be impressed with his hammocks.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks for the suggestion but i think i will just buy this one as it is really cheap
can you get mozzie nets that go all the way around you ?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Again, speak to magikelly who did a netting group buy a while back. I don't know the full details but search for the thread and I'm sure it will come up. You could get a load of netting and make one to your specifications.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thats a good idea actually
yer i think i might just make my own
how would you sew it as it has tiny holes in it

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the net hammocks are generally too short and narrow for comfort. use the magikelly/DD hammock.
trust me, you'll be glad you did.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i am a small 14 year old so it should be ok for me
sorry if it sounds like i dont want your opinions and suggestions i honestly do

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE