British army issue hammocks

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
by all means buy one. it's after all your money.
and if you decide to trade up to a better hammock you can use the mesh one as a gear loft.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes thats a good idea
if i decide to get a new one i could use the old one as a sort of shelf to store my stuff off the ground, that would also give me alot more space
thanks leon

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
strangly enough i find the british army hammock much nicer than the net type, by sheer luck i found a discarded net hammock when climbing in spain i used it only a few times, it's great if you are very hot as air can circulate well that's the end of my good experiences of net hammocks :( here's the rest!

it's not going to stop, wind, rain, insects, dust.

and if stuff falls out of your pocket it will end up on the floor.

when lying down, it really constricts you, i mean really :( not very comfy! (i used one when i was 18 and very fit).

the net can pinch head hairs as you lie down(amongst others!)

if used without anything else like a roll mat the knots are quite uncomfortable!

you still have the balance problem!

and as for uses, many modern hammocks can be used in different ways like the british army one(a stretcher), hennessey(on the floor), with a net hammock it's either a hammock or a kit store(which all other hammocks do anyway!)

anyway back to the british army hammocks......

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
all these people have changed my mind
i now think i might get a dd hammock
lol

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
leon-b said:
thanks for the suggestion but i think i will just buy this one as it is really cheap
can you get mozzie nets that go all the way around you ?

You might want to look at the idea of getting one of the newer DD hammocks with built in net, which will also get you a tarp and tarp guylines for about the same as the extra cost of the DD and a seperate mozzie net.
I can't comment much on it I only ordered mine last night.

Anyone had any cold weather experience of using a net hammock underneath as an underquilt holder? I'm thinking of trying it using a doubled over poncho liner as the quilt, which should lessen and uncomfortable knott problems but I'm wondering if I've missed something obvious.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
leon-b said:
thats a good idea actually
yer i think i might just make my own
how would you sew it as it has tiny holes in it

Right according to she who knows these things!!!

You put a pice of paper between the two sides and use a machine that is set so the stiches are at least 50% larger than the pitch of the holes. If you have a flashy sewing machine then use a zig zag stich. Once you have finished pull the paper out!

If you are making long runs then use a thin strip of bias binding or needleworkers tape instead of paper, and then you don't have to pull it out.

Use a thread similar to the material so if you are using netting from net curtains then use fine synthetic thread as opposed to natual cotton.

Hope that helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE