British Army Desert Boots Unboxing First Impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I have been toying for a little while now about buying a pair of desert boots as my everyday pottering about in boots.
I was still umming and aring until I saw these on ebay going dirt cheap; so I snapped them up.

They arrived this morning. so this is the unboxing and first impressions.

this is the manufacturer's product description:-

MEINDL DESERT BOOTS
Perfect for desert operations, this is a tough boot that provides superb comfort.
- Robust suede/cordura upper
- ClimaDry lining enhances comfort
- Multigrip MTH gives reassuring grip
- Approx. weight (one boot, size 9): 794g.

they look and feel very sturdy and so far are very comfortable, I have only warn them around the house but they feel great. I was happy about the fact that they came with a spare pair of laces in the box aswell.

I am going to have to find some way to help waterproof them! Does any member on here have any ideas? I would gladly welcome them.

I will post a better review after I have tryed them out for a bit.
For the mean time here is a few pics.

Last edited:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have a pair of these - have had for a few years and they are nice boots.

Two things I'd say - don't try to waterproof them, you won't be able to, they get wet quickly and dry quickly too, go with it.....

They shrink - about half a size when they do get wet and permanently, - so be sure to wear them dry so they don't shrink too much.

With those two points included they are great comfortable boots, only surpassed by the Lowa SF ones, but then you are talking much more money.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
My feet have lived in a pair of those for the past 3 years!
Thats every day...without fail these have been worn for at least a couple of hours, I've never had a blister or hot spot and never had wet feet (even up here!) I can't reccomend them highly enough!
Even after multiple tours of Iraq and Afghan there is plenty sole left as well, I previously wore Altberg Desert MicroLights which are also superb but the sole does wear faster!

I've got the Lowa SF boots as well...both Desert and Black but can't really compare because I haven't worn the Desert for more than a couple of minutes and since the Comrie meet up Culloch Jnr has claimed the black pair!

Last edited:

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks guys,
I'm a little worried now its very wet here in Yorkshire most of the time!
I normally take a 10.5 in boots but went with the snug fit of a 10 due to them being everyday boots and the fact that I would just be using normal socks in them not thick walking ones (and it was an amazingly cheap deal).

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
You should be ok with them, I've only known one person have a problem with them shrinking and that was after full immersion and he dried them forcefully! They really don'nt take on much water!

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Forgot to add, forget waterproofing its really not needed or any more efficient and DON'T clean them! They improve with wear and dare I say it abuse!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Would one of those sprays for suede not help a wee bit ?

I've been looking at those boots for a while but i'll stick with my leathers for the winter now.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've had a pair of these for just over two years now and they are my footwear of choice when not at school.

As others have said, don't bother waterproofing them as they dry quickly. I've not had a problem with shrinkage, and believe me I've had them wet through. Just stuff them with newspaper and leave to dry in a warm room overnight.

Can't say I remember mine being that clean though...I never clean mine and they look better, IMHO, for a little ingrained dirt!

Simon

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
does any one have a link for these boots ? i've done the google bit but there are so many and lots of fakes around, a pointer in the right direction would be great.

Cheers

Robbi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE