brewing up with wax covered cotton wool+fire steel [first time]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
rubbed bp jelly into cotton wool balls last night after a tip,then after another tip i covered some with candle wax.
i covered some more than others to give options.

first time using a fire-steel but was confident after watching videos.i tried a lighter later and it blew out the fire steel was the better method.

see how easy the half covered ball lights.
it seems better than hexamine though it did soot the cup a lot.

listen for the red kites whistling in the background,i was in such a lovely location.

part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6_KCmnModE

part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMrIJ0H7Rn0

part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tcavx_wXcQ

Last edited:

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Glad my tip paid off! tho i can't take any credit as like i said before i found it from a guy on youtube by the name of 'colin outdoors' and he said he seen other folk on youtube do it so just passing it along!

Was hard to hear what you were saying due to the wind so i was wondering, how long did it take to boil your water and how long did the half coated wax ball last for?
Do you think this is better than other fuel then?

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i didnt time it but it was quick and i used one half coated and 2 coated balls.
towards the end i put in a small hex block but it wasnt needed.
i was impressed by the fire steel much better than match or lighter.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
I think they may burn longer if you fully soak them to the center, im not sure tho.. i guess you just have to experiment and see what works best.
I have lots of wax so i will give this a try at some point and see whats the best way to do it.

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
i replace hexi with these last year and never looked back ^^, there hard to light but hold a match on them for 20 sec or more and they catch ^^
i can make 40 or so and 12 10 inch candles ^^

---
Skipp

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Just dipping the cotton ball into melted wax works fine too. Don't let it sit in the melted wax too long though. A quick dip will do. You don't want a solid wax ball. To use, crack it open and fluff out the insides a bit. If you soak it through, it will be harder to light. The fluff is like the wick.

A large cotton ball can burn for 15 minutes or so. Long enough for a brew.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I use cotton wool pads with vaseline and keep them in sealed bags -tip from Cobweb though I will have to try the wax covering as I have been making fire starter tins (card board strips rolled up put in a cut down lager can and covered in wax - gives plenty of burning time to get a fire burning - tip courtesy of Toddy at the Moot last year). I will have to try these as they will use little room at the bottom of my hobe stove although the sooting may be an issue.

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
I'm a candle maker, and the sooting you speak of is most likely the result of using Paraffin candles.

I used to make and sell candles using Paraffin wax, but once I moved to Soya wax I've never looked back - burns upto twice as long, creamier, and absolutely no sooting :)

I'll make a few of these using Soya wax when I next make a batch of candles, and let you know how they turn it but it certainly sounds like a Paraffin-wax related issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE