Brew kits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
I'm just interested to find out how you all carry your brew kits, when I say brew kit i mean tea, coffee , sugar and milk,
How do you store yours and where do you pack it :)

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I put everything i want in a cuppa, coffee, whitener and sugar in some cling film and wrap it up tight. It doesn't take long to make as many as i need and i get my drink just as i like it. When it comes to making it i just cut it open and tip it into my cup. The cling film weighs next to nothing and is easily carried until you can find somewhere to bin it.

Last edited:

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I carry coffee, and instant white tea normally. It's all packed in with my Billy and honey stove in a pouch.

I drink black coffee and I'm happy with black tea as well but carry the white tea and sugar in case someone else wants a brew. Who else carries brew kit for others or do we just carry what we want to drink?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I just buy Kenko 3-in-1 these days... take a few sachets and i'm good to go.

Yes, sometimes I would like a nicer cup of coffee but then some times I would like a whirlpool spa too.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I make up my own 3in1: take 10tsps of each instant coffee, sugar and milk powder dry mix it and put it in one of those little nescafe azeera tubs. Thats based on me drinking strong white coffee with 2 sugars. Less fiddly and cheaper than the satchets :)

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I only drink tea and usually take ration pack beverages. When I don't have any compo I go for herbal tea bags because they don't need milk. I recently found some instant chai tea! Not tried it yet though. I often take cupasoup as well, though it needs a separate cup, don't like soupy tea!

Claudiasboris

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I carry a few sachets of kenco milano, some nescafe 3-in-1s, a little zip lock bag of green tea with honey and one with normal tea, then some brown sugar and powered milk all in a little leather bag with 2 little folding x-cups. There's a few more instant sachets stashed in the bag with the M-kettle aswell.

I've always carried a few different things and a bit extra in case someone passes through the camp :)

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I carry coffee for the morning & tea for during the day, brown auger and powder milk, all in separate zip lock bags and contained in a brown leather draw string pouch I made :)

my brew kit contains
instant white tea
instant black coffee
sugar
double mocha choca
oxo cubes
cherry chocolate
Horlicks
chocoate horlicks
instant mulled wine flavoured tea (whittards)
instant turkish apple tea (again whittards)

some sound a bit cissy perhaps (no thanks to the bikini wax Red:)) but this covers me, lisa, shannon and anyone else who might appear, there has to be something in there to take the fancy of most folk, plus with kids they dont always want to drink so a selection makes it easier to find something they are willing to consume-usually the hot chocolate/horlicks

Can I please have either a plain filter coffee, black, or a teabag and real milk Sam? :D
If you are carrying them then yes Red course you can :p
there's always one..........
although i do take tea bags and real milk (silver top thank you) when it is winter as the milk stays fresh

Edit-ever find yourself in bedfordshire before you flee screaming give me a shout and you can definately have either of your choices Red :)

Last edited:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I use Kinder eggs when i go out on my own, perfect size for tea bag or coffee with two sugars!
When i go on a weekly bimble with Kepis and Hugo i use army decon pots for tea,coffee,sugar!
For boiling, 10cm zebra, hobo or gas burner depending how long i'm stopping for!

RM

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have 2 brew kits...

Quick brews when out and about:
2 in 1 coffee & whitener sachets stored inside the Jetboil

Fixed or Scout camps
Tool box with another Jetboil & plastic tubs of
  • various teas
  • 2 in 1 coffee sachets for quick brews around site
  • Fresh coffee with a perculator for stove top use
  • Instant coffee
  • Sugar
  • Milk powder
Simon

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Just happened to be sorting the small Bergan out after a day wander yesterday, when I read this post, so
Brewkit2001.jpg

Powdered milk in the old Cod Liver Oil pill container, although I usually buy a little 1/2 litre bottle of fresh milk on the way to where-ever..That's a boot cleaning pouch for the tea,sugar etc: and a stuff bag for the burner, kettle and gas. All goes in a side pocket of the Bergan.
d_coffee.gif

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
On foot or two wheels, brew kit is an army Trangia setup which will also do me a frugal meal. The Trangia is slightly personalized, I kept the original 250ml meths container but switched the burner for a stainless one which (a) has a simmer ring and (b) happens to fit better with the other things I keep in there like an enamel mug, some Oxo cubes and a bottle of Habanero sauce. :) An old plastic peanut butter container full of sugar and a few tea bags fits snugly in the enamel mug. I've spent years looking for containers and vessels which stack/nest/nestle and I never really stop looking. The kit lives in a side pouch with room for a few other things like cutlery, lighters, cordage, flannels...

On four wheels, the brew kit includes a 3 pint Ghillie kettle and goes in a plastic crate in the boot, together with enough corned beef, tinned vegetables and cous-cous to do several less frugal meals. :).

Last edited:

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I've been using some small aluminium screw-top containers for day/overnight outings. They are incredibly robust, light and seal well as they were intended to be used by folks who make up their own herbal unguents etc. Three of them for milk powder, sugar & teabags. I can't quite remember where I got them but here is something that might be them: http://www.naturallybalmy.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1374766-30ml-Screw-Cap-Aluminium-Tin.html ; same kind of thing anyway. I sometimes take some oxo and hot-choc sachets too. For longer trips I use 500ml wide-mouth Nalgene bottles.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
For a day trip or short stopover I just take 3 in 1 coffee sachets. Anything longer then I take plastic 500ml container with sugar, whitener, tea bags and more 3 in 1 coffee. This slips inside a plastic mug and still does not take up that much space.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I only ever drink freshly ground coffee at home and ready-ground good quality coffee when in the van. While discussing travel brews with a colleague she said, "Instant is all right as long as you regard it as another drink and don't compare it with real coffee." I think she is right.

After having tried all sorts of containers and combinations I started to drink black instant coffee when out and about just for KISS reasons. After a while I came to prefer it to without with milk and sugar. I now stock up with cheap instant sachets easily available in the supermarket when I'm in France. Two of these go into my homepacked day ratpacks and a half dozen sachets are always in my pack.

It doesn't pay to be too fussy when travelling, in my view. If you can't tear yourself away from all the comforts of home, don't leave home!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE