bread made by hand the tutorial by D.D.R

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Best tip I was given is to throw away my bread tins! You need a proper bakestone. Now that sounds scary...but its a big old slap of stone...any stone.....like a 99p paving slab! Put that in the middle of the oven when it heats up and put a baking dish in the bottom. Then stick the kettle on.

When you put the bread in stick, mist the bread with water with a plant sprayer (couple of quid from any garden centre) and then slide it onto the bake stone. If you cant do this, put it on greaseproof and transfer it that way.

Then sloosh a load of boiling water into the baking tray at the bottom (beware the woosh of steam) and slam the door. The extra moisture keeps the bread moist and soft but makes a nice crust.

On the subject of crust, put about three slashes across the top of your loaves with a knife - it will let the bread rise in the oven but not split.

Lastly but the River cottage bread book! Its the best book on bread making ever - and I have read a lot :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Like I said drew don't waste any money - go to B&Q and buy a smooth slab, or lump of slate, marble, granite whatever. Better yet, talk to a kitchen fitter and get an off cut of some stone worktop for free. It just have to be rock and flat - anything will do :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE