Bowl Horse

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Finally got my Bowl Horse made this afternoon, it's made from the large log i collected last week, i peeled the bark off using a spud (thankfully a good sized piece of bark came away in one piece, so i have saved that to make another berry basket). I then augured three holes for the legs, making sure that the rear legs splay not only outwards but also have a reverse throw on them to counter act the force of the adze hitting the work piece, the front leg has a forward throw on it, again for stability.

DSCN7087.jpg

Unlike many other bowl horses you see on the web, i decided to make mine three legged, for one very good reason, it's easier to stabilise three legs than four on rough ground. Once the legs had been fitted i marked out the bed (15 inches long) and cut both ends down, then simply split out the waste section with an axe and mallet, once this section had been removed i used a draw knife to smooth the work bed down.

DSCN7091.jpg

Ive been wanting to make one these for a little while, although my adze block is comfortable to use, i have found it a bit limiting at times, so a bowl horse seemed the next logical progression to make, I've made this horse a little smaller than some of the ones you see dotted around on the Internet, again this is for a reason, the main one being, i don't have a great deal of space to store the thing, but it's still plenty big enough for any bowl I'm likely to make on it.

I used the horse briefly this afternoon (before the rain set in again) to make a shallow bowl from the piece i removed to make the bed, and once the section had been wedged in place, i could use my adze with both hands and get some power behind the cuts and the horse hardly moved, it's incredibly stable, despite having only three legs.

DSCN7100.jpg

Ive not yet cut in the 20 degree cut out on the front of the horse that you quite often see, rain stopped play in that respect, so i still have that to add at some point, although i may not bother with it at all as, when i cleaned up the exterior surface of the shallow bowl i made this afternoon, I just wedged it in place and used a draw knife, seemed to work well enough.

DSCN7086.jpg

As with so many things like this, i now have to use the thing and then make adaptations to the horse that suit my personal needs, rather than make it to a set plan, just because someone out there in Internet land says that the way it has to be done, if it works for me, then it has to be right, right? and lets face it, if i cock it up, it's not going to cost me anything, except a bit of effort to make another one.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's what I need! I've just made a rough table in this format, and that is such a good idea. Maybe I will finally get to grips with my adze if I do this.

Great inspiration.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Fascinating, nice work, nice grain in that wood as well, What is it ? Do you have or can you take pictures of how it actually works ?
Thanks
Eifion

the wood is Ash, will get some pics of the horse in use for you when it stops raining

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Nice work Kep!, Glad you've been busy thisafternoon, but you were missed, and we had to feed your bit of apple pie to the teenage girls who stopped by!
I will post some pictures later for your perusal!
Like that a lot!, i would have a go at making one, if i made bowls, or had a Adze to carve out the bowls!:)

RM

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice work Kep!, Glad you've been busy thisafternoon, but you were missed, and we had to feed your bit of apple pie to the teenage girls who stopped by!
I will post some pictures later for your perusal!
Like that a lot!, i would have a go at making one, if i made bowls, or had a Adze to carve out the bowls!:)

RM

well had to do something to make it a bushy type day, would have loved to have come up and joined you two, but the job this morning took longer than anticipated:(, still it's all dosh in the bank:).

look forward to the pics

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice job there Kepis mate ,I looked at it earlier on your blog wow I was thinking.
Huge tree down across the path just past 32c on the left going up, lovely piece of ash.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Nice work Kepis and thanks for posting pics. This has inspired me to finally get around to making one of my own now that work has slowed down :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks a Beaut Kepis, always love your style, nice and clean simple and robust and letting the material add its very own character
Lovely work once again, hope it will serve you well in the years to come
Yours sincerely Ruud

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice job there Kepis mate ,I looked at it earlier on your blog wow I was thinking.
Huge tree down across the path just past 32c on the left going up, lovely piece of ash.

Fresh fall or is it that old one there?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE