Bowl Horse

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
When I started teaching bowlcarving a few years ago I collated all the different bowl holding methods I had seen and tried them out. I wasn't really happy with any, they all had individual drawbacks, most folk were working on blocks or low benches. This was the design I ended up with which works for me.
bowlm8-1.jpg

After discusion on the greenwoodworkers forum it was christened the bowlmate and there do seem to be a lot of them around now. Good that folk don't stick to the one design and are adapting it. These blog posts show how I use mine.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
like that lot Kep
although the Adze bench is pretty sweet too
i'm currently gathering materials for a shave horse, i suspect there may be a few more bits being searched out for making those two as well
have to find myself an auger and adze as well

oh so many shiney tools/toys to gather

let us know how you get on Sam. I figured that with a horse and adze block ive got the best of both worlds, ive already got an adaptation i want to make to the horse that will make carving things like cups a lot easier though, i love the way these things just evolve over time to suit each persons needs.

I got my boig auger from Ebay, chap on there sells them, search for Scotch Eyed auger and it will come up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE