Bowdrill fire problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
sycamore as the board, hazel as the drill, make the drill around thumb thickness as it rotates faster and is easier to drill. for the bearing block a big lump of green holly is the best naturaly, i usualy stick some grass and spit in there too. if you wanna go all out use a skataboard wheel as a bearing block, works fantasticly.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
This is what you want, natural as it can be, as tough as well a piece of rock and will certainly out last all of us

Capture2BW.jpg

For a board try Sycamore on Sycamore, it's about the easiest there is, i used a good dozen sets of Sycamore last weekend doing demo's, i also use Hazel on Hazel, Hazel on Sycamore and Willow on Willow, my personal favourite though is a Willow spindle on a sycamore hearth.

As noted above the best cordage is lawn mower / chain saw pull start cord

More info on the bearing block here http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2011/09/stone-bearing-block.html

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
try and get dead standing if you can, it's drier and much easier to use than anything you will find laying on the ground, that being said all of the Sycamore sets i used last weekend were made from green wood that i then processed into boards and spindles and left in the shed to dry out for a week or so.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE