Bow making books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Can anyone recommend a good bow making book? I know there are lots of good websites and instructional youtube videos floating around the digital ether, but are there books on the subject that people here have found useful?

Cheers

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
"The bowyers bibles" is a great series of books.
Dont go for the whole series just start with part1 and more importantly just get a suitable bit of wood and get whittling. Once you start playing the books will make a lot more sense.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thats em.

The whole bowyery thing was a bit of a mystical entity until these blokes put all of their research and knowledge together and came up with the bowyers bible series. There used to be a stance of yew is the only bow wood, master bowyers can only make good performing bows etc etc.
Then the blokes like Jim Hamm, Paul Comstock, Tim Baker to name but a few took an engineering and experimental approach to it all and dispelled a lot of the myths associated with it all. The upshot being most woods will make a bow that will perform as well as yew if designed correctly to the woods characteristics. More so that you can create a bow from white-wood (ash, elm, oak, cherry) that will perform as well if not better than the posh yew equivilant.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I have a couple of files stored in pdf about bow making if you want I can get our resident IT wiz to send them after she's done her homework

Just been told they're not all pdf at least 1 of them was pasted onto word

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I have the set of these somewhere in the loft (sorry not looking to sell) but can definitely attest to them being great, packed full of information - more to the point useful information.

They helped me through step by step in crafting a bow that, if it hadn't been for me rushing the tillering process would have been superb.
Considering it was my first bow with zero experience these books pretty much walked me through it though I should mention there's a fair amount of jumping from one chapter to another but that was all part of the learning curve for me.

Hamster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE