Looking for a bothie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 15, 2022
United states
Hello everyone I will be in Scotland from December 11th to January 08th. Can anyone recommend a remote bothie around Glasgow and/or Edinburgh? Is there a website with a list of them? As some may know from my previous post, my mum recently passed away and I am finally taking a trip to heal. I don't mind the hike. I will be in full blown 9th c. medieval garb.
-
I just found one website and it looks like there are none. I might change my trip to up north near inverness so I can go to one or so. How does one hike and find one without getting lost?

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Crikey, I'm ever so sorry to hear about your mother.
That must be terribly rough. I can understand the need to get away to clear your head. Mind you, escaping is not always the best answer, but I am sure you know you well enough. Sometimes it is best to share sorrow and grief. But, again, I am sure you know what's best.

It is with concern and fondness that, in reply to :
How does one hike and find one without getting lost?

I have to answer, if you have to ask the question then maybe you're not ready for such a trip in such a location at such a time of year.
Not what you want to hear but, for the sake of my conscience, it's what I have to answer.
Take care, my friend.

Oct 15, 2022
United states
Crikey, I'm ever so sorry to hear about your mother.
That must be terribly rough. I can understand the need to get away to clear your head. Mind you, escaping is not always the best answer, but I am sure you know you well enough. Sometimes it is best to share sorrow and grief. But, again, I am sure you know what's best.

It is with concern and fondness that, in reply to :

I have to answer, if you have to ask the question then maybe you're not ready for such a trip in such a location at such a time of year.
Not what you want to hear but, for the sake of my conscience, it's what I have to answer.
Take care, my friend.
I am worried about the mass amount of people who do end up deceased due to the severe cold. My question is how does one even begin to be able to have the experience to search a bothie out?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Find a scottish outdoor walking club. That would be a good place to start. They would know all about where bothies can be found, and how to get to them. Brush up on using a compass, and map reading skills. You will definatly need to be proficient in that skill in Scottish wilderness.
If you are going to uni in Scotland, the uni should have an outdoor /walking club that you could join and learn navigational skills, and also have company on your first few trips, untill you get to know the area better.
Good luck, and my commiserations on loosing your mum. I send you a big hug.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
The info is out there, sadly so from a lot of peoples perspective due to misuse!
Have a look at the Mountain Bothies Association. There’s also books available.

Seriously, it’s not a good time of year in Scotland unless you are properly equipped, kit & skills!

I second Wander, navigation by map & compass is definitely a required skill!

Oct 15, 2022
United states
Thank you all to who has offered help. I am moving very soon to Scotland so I have plenty of time to give it a go. I sort of already knew winter was going to be bad due to how many tragic deaths have happened especially in bothies around this time. Thanks for the advice and I will be working much harder to do it the right way!
-
Edit: Thank you everyone for the kind words about my mum as well. It will be a hard Christmas and new years but through prayer and patience, I will get through it.

Reactions: Dogoak

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE