Bored out of my tree, can't use my hands properly, what can I do ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a flare up of the RA in my wrists and hands.
I can't grip anything properly. I can't prep veggies, can't beat or whisk, can't rub in, or knead dough.
I have no 'pinch' hold at all...my main thumb joints are incredibly painful.
I can't sew, knit, crochet, I can't use tools, I can't carry or lift anything properly. I can't change gears without pain.
I can't press things hard, and popping pills out of tinfoil is an unbelievable spike of agony.
I can't tie, knot, weave, knit, twist, or work buttons....I manage eight finger typing, sort of....and I am likely to be like this for several weeks until the whole thing settles down and heals.

I am bored, bored, beyond bored :(
YouTube is an exercise in frustration..........so much total mince with a few nuggets of really good stuff; tv all day would drive me nuts :rolleyes: and though I'm sleeping masses, the usual response to this kind of thing, it's summer and I usually only need maybe at most five hours a night.

In the scheme of things my aches are small change, there are so many people so very much worse off than I'll ever be, but right now, I'm not a happy lady :sigh:

Useful suggestions of something interesting to do would be appreciated :D

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh internet research...I need to know If I can succesfully vernify sugar beet in Lincolnshire.....no? Ahh well. ;)

I might suggest Audible.co.uk. Saves my sanity - talking books (full length) read by great actors. Fiction, non fiction, biography, all sorts. When I'm sick in bed I can lie back, close my eyes, and have Stephen Fry read to me. Bliss!

Or come down here and sit in a teak steamer chair whilst I do the gardening - and tell me when I've missed a weed :D. Elderflower cordial time soon!

H

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Mary, sorry you are feeling a bit peed off and bored , great minds think alike ! Luckily mine is just boredom , i just posted some nonesense about 5 mins before you , i am lucky i don't have a RA problem , i presume you are having whatever necessary treatment prescribed . It sounds more the frustration than anything else , my ex wife is an expert at Torbay Hospital , i could ask if there is anything she suggests to relieve the pain and mobility in your joints if you like ?

Hopefully typing is not too painful , so while a bit of time on the good old forum , talking rubbish with fools like me !

Ivan...

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sounds like a real bummer. I can sympathize because I've been battling hip-leg-foot problems for the past year. Sucks. The only drugs I have been taking are the occasional NSAID and vitamin D3 which may or may not be good for inflammation. I dunno.

For the boredom, you might try an ebook or two. Probably easier to mouse through the pages than hold a book open and turn the pages. If you can hold some binos, this is a good time of year for backyard birding eh?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have a flare up of the RA in my wrists and hands. ... popping pills out of tinfoil is an unbelievable spike of agony. ...

It never ceases to amaze me that they still put RA and similar pain relief meds in that kind of packaging. Crass stupidity. Use a small blade to cut the foil?

Useful suggestions of something interesting to do would be appreciated ...

How about getting a Kindle? I confess they're not my cuppa tea but SWMBO has one and she loves it. She seems to have most of Project Gutenberg on there now and she sits with it for hours on end.

Keeps her quiet, anyway. :)

Best wishes on a speedy end to the bout.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think (Can't be sure / could be wrong) the are computer programs available which translates speech into the written word ~ they take some setting up but, iirc, son #01 and / or #02 are quite good with computers.

If that's feasible, you could 'speakwrite' some stories ~ which would, at least, keep your mind active :D

If all else fails, you could always tread grapes (You know me, I've got to make at least one daft suggestion :eek: )

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D Thank you :D

Ach, I'm just out of sorts with this damned disease.
I'll cheer up again.

Yep, they package pills in the plastic bubble packs, totally impossible for anyone with arthritis in the hands to manage. If asked the pharmacist will dispense them in a screw top tub...........with safety features.........what part of, "I can't manage to open things." does not compute with these people ? :dunno:

I have a Sony Reader and HWMBLT has downloaded a stack of new books for me, but I can't hold it and it needs propped up to see it. After an hour or so I'm climbing out of my chair needing to go and do something, any thing :rolleyes:

British Red, thank you kindly :) but if you were gardening there's no way I could sit on my backside and just watch......just soooo not me.
I had a look, and all things considered I reckon you'd have a fair chance at success with sugar beet on your land....clearest site I've found is
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/sugarbeet.html
It doesn't like soggy, and so long as you get enough moisture for it to germinate and set properly, it should do well.
Useful plants :approve:
Have you thought of keeping a couple of nanny goats? Have them AI and you could have milk for good cheese and they'd be constant living composters :D Besides, goat meat is a much under-rated meal, especially if not taken from old animals.

Thanks for the links Ian :) I'll have a looksee :cool:

Y'know Phil, treading grapes sounds like fun :D Mess incarnate :D

atb,
M

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... popping pills out of tinfoil is an unbelievable spike of agony.

Rosie says to ask your pharmacist about whether it would be possible to have your meds put into something more suitable ~ local to me those with restrictive conditions can ask for their meds to be transferred to something that they can open more easily. You never know, they might be able to offer some aid or suggestions :dunno: .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT popped the sheets and I've got them in a wee easy open tub.
Thinking on it though; I'm one of the lucky ones, my joints settle down and I'll heal; heaven help those whose hands are totally and permanently incapacitated.

Tried to have braised tofu for lunch..........ring pulls are out too :rolleyes: and I don't even want to contemplate the pain of trying to use a can opener.

HWMBLT says I've to go online shopping for all the stuff to redo the bathroom :D :D From shower to wall and ceiling panels.
That'll keep me out of mischief for a wee while :D

M

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just to chuckle at:D

576537_202552966528359_169205996529723_336588_2131540639_n.jpg

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Can you drive (or get driven) to local elderly folks who'd just love a chat and a freindly face to go through their photo albums with? It'd brighten their day and get you outta the house and feeling good! Or a flick through old patterns etc, or a resort of materials for projects on a promise to yourself for when you're better?

Sympathies to you, though, I can imagine wall-crawling without fingers being a thankless task ;)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
That's a real bummer, Toddy!
get well soon.
And while you're at it..... you could send me those hoods patterns, if they're done... :rolleyes:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
ahh mary have only just noticed this, hope you are ok sweet, and i hope that you are not in to much pain.
there is a link on here about axes that has just killed about 45 minutes fo me and really enjoyed watching it i will see if i can find it again for you.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red, thank you kindly :) but if you were gardening there's no way I could sit on my backside and just watch......just soooo not me.
I had a look, and all things considered I reckon you'd have a fair chance at success with sugar beet on your land....clearest site I've found is
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/sugarbeet.html
It doesn't like soggy, and so long as you get enough moisture for it to germinate and set properly, it should do well.
Useful plants :approve:
Have you thought of keeping a couple of nanny goats? Have them AI and you could have milk for good cheese and they'd be constant living composters :D Besides, goat meat is a much under-rated meal, especially if not taken from old animals.

We are working our way up to livestock Mary..I want everything else done first. Bees first, then chickens, then weaner pigs. After that, if I can negotiate for a few more acres, I fancy Dexter cows....great wee things - bidable, not escape artists, more than a gallon of milk a day, good for meat...size of a great dane!

You could always inventory my herbs if bored....I'e got a lot of horehound I'm trying this year...I want to make old fashined cough drops with the sugar beet :)

You are welcome for a visit and a potter anytime if wall climbing....I can easy drive up and get you

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE