What can I make out of this leather?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I have just received two pieces of Rhubarb-Tanned Sheep Leather as a gift. I don't know what to make out of it as I think it is too thin for your normal knife sheath or possibility bag. It is very soft and and smells wonderful. Here is a link to the shop it came from but I can't get a direct link to the product so look under materials, then leather and it is the fifth one down.

So what can I make out of it? Any suggestions are welcome :)

Cheers

Andy

leon-1

Bisamratte said:
I have just received two pieces of Rhubarb-Tanned Sheep Leather as a gift. I don't know what to make out of it as I think it is too thin for your normal knife sheath or possibility bag. It is very soft and and smells wonderful. Here is a link to the shop it came from but I can't get a direct link to the product so look under materials, then leather and it is the fifth one down.

So what can I make out of it? Any suggestions are welcome :)

Cheers

Andy

Hi mate, traditional type purses, or sugar bags is one suggestion. It's weight is just a bit light to be used for moccasins, but it is clothing weight. It works out at around 3 ounce, do a bit of a search on the net for 3 ounce leather and it should give you some results (probably from America as they tend to use ounces for measuring leather still).

Here's some items I've made from Birch tanned Reindeer hide.

Reindeerleatherpouches.jpg
[/IMG]

Coffee pouches at the back, mobile phone pouch on the right and a neck pouch which I carry my fire kit in at the front.

I either cut thin lengths of the leather or use sinew to sew them together.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Cheers for the ideas guys :You_Rock_

I think I will have a go at a wallet but I may have to buy a sewing machine for that (my stitching isn't all that neat) and my girlfriend wants a mobile phone case like yours Fenlander. I have also thought of making a book cover but I would really like something a bit more useful :rolleyes:

My internet searches haven't come up with much apart from allot of Roman dress ware, which isn't really my style (at the moment :cool: ).

Keep the ideas coming (and its really inspirational to see other peoples work ;) )

Cheers
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE