Fenix TK21 Review – I’ve been out done by my son!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Don’t you just love it when your kids grow up and buy better toys than you do. No, but this time he has come up with a real cracker, the positive side is that I can now nick his toys.
A few weeks ago, I posted a review on the Fenix TK15; I thought that that was the mutt’s nuts until the postie called. Junior has bought a Fenix TK21 U2 Special limited Edition.

IMG_1972.jpg

It has the new powerful Cree XM-L Premium U2 LED (with the usual 50,000 hour life span) which is flaming powerful with a maximum output of 468 lumens!!!!!!!!! It produces a powerful beam with aid of the deep dish reflector and has a very respectable range of 214 meters with a nice wide beam spread. All this whilst producing unbelievable power economy.

IMG_1977.jpg

Specs and Features
• Cree XM-L U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Uses 2 x CR123A 3v lithium batteries or 1 x 18650 Li-ion rechargeable battery
• 150mm (length) x 25.4mm (dia) x 40mm (head)
• 152.6 - gram weight (excluding batteries)
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Reverse polarity protection, protects from incorrect battery insertion
• Push button tail switch with momentary-on function
• Push button mode switch with memory function
• Made from durable aircraft grade aluminum
• Premium Type 111 hard anodized anti - abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard

IMG_1968.jpg

A light press of the end cap switch gives momentary on/off of whatever power setting you choose, with a firm click for on and off . Using the silver side button, you can choose from 5, 58, 180 and 468 lumens and with a one-second press of this switch activates the rapid strobe at full power. The last setting used is memorized ready for your next use. I really like this method of output selection.

FenixTK21BeamThrowPic180411.jpg

The battery life is very impressive, running two CR123A’s the following run times are achieved:
5 lumens = 220 hours.
58 lumens = 16 hours.
180 lumens = 5 hours 10 mins.
468 lumens = 1 hour 50 mins.
Having said that Junior has nicked my spare 18650 rechargeable battery, which will give even better performance than a pair of CR123A’s saving a lot of money at the same time. Looks like I will be ordering another pair!
The TK21 has dual recoil absorbing springs the same as the TK15, this helps absorb any shock and makes a much more robust flashlight for firearms use. There is also an optional remote pressure switch and gun mount available. It is impact resistant to 1.5 meters.

TK15DualSpring.jpg

He has also pinched my bike mount to use this as a front light. I must say it makes a pleasant change to have a front light that actually provides enough power to be of use! There are several bike mount designs available, but I thought for the heavier flashlight the genuine Fenix one would be better and at only £10 it was a sound investment and will accept diameters from 18-28mm.

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

The hard-anodized finish gives great anti-scratch coating. I have had an LD15 on my key ring for a long time and it has taken a lot of punishment very well. A tactical grip, easily removed if you don’t like it completes this impressive flashlight. Webbing pouch, two spare O-rings, lanyard and an orange rubber switch boot come with the TK15.
This was purchased from www.thephotonshop.co.uk with super quick service and free delivery you can’t go wrong.
No connection, now juniors a happy customer. ;):red:;)

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
I've got 2 of these and they are fantastic. The cr123a batteries are a little bit pricey compared to the AAAs and AAs that my LED Lenser torches take, but I managed to get a box of 12 cr123a batts from Heinnie (no affiliation) for about £12. I've not had to change a set yet.

Just a word of advice though... Although it's common sense and all not to look into the lens on full power, my curiosity got the better of me (as per usual). I only looked at it for no more than 5 seconds, but I was blind for about a minute, then my sight slowly came back. I still had the image of the light in the middle of my view for around an hour afterwards though. Please learn from my stupidity...this thing is crazy bright!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE