Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chr1sd

Dec 6, 2012
Newcastle
Right, im ready for an everyday boot change. For the past 3 years I have been using my Meindl Vakuum GTX boots for general day to day stuff. Site work, dog walking and they even clean up nice and look alright casual with a pair of jeans. They have been an awesome pair of boots. They are not fully worn out just yet, but have past their day to day usage and are now a bit scruffy and I have decided just to use them for dog walking in the wet and muddy stuff.

So, im looking for a second pair of boots that I can use for work, general days out (casual) and walking but nothing thats gonna get them minging all the time. So far I have narrowed it down to:

Altberg Defender MOD or Hanwag Special Forces LX. The Meindls have been great but the one area they weren't so good was indoors. They make my feet sweat. So I am thinking non gortex for my second pair should be fine.
I ordered some Lowa Patrols but I have narrow feet and they were just too wide for me.

Has anyone owned either of the above boots and can give their opinions.

thanks in advance.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Well the altbergs do come in different width fittings, so if your feet are narrow that could be the way to go. It would probably be worth a trip down there if your feet are on the narrow side as they could then measure you up & sort you out. Also they have a large number of cosmetic seconds, & uncollected/wanted special orders in the shop, so theres also the chance of a bargain to boot(see what i did there !)

Rob

chr1sd

Dec 6, 2012
Newcastle
Owned a pair of Hanwags and these may be similar fittings to the Lowa Patrol

bummer, I had read that the Hanwag Special Forces were quite narrow compared to the Lowas. :(

Well the altbergs do come in different width fittings, so if your feet are narrow that could be the way to go. It would probably be worth a trip down there if your feet are on the narrow side as they could then measure you up & sort you out. Also they have a large number of cosmetic seconds, & uncollected/wanted special orders in the shop, so theres also the chance of a bargain to boot(see what i did there !)

Rob

Cool, Its not too far from me, could be a good day out.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Hanwags

Still does not mean they are not suitable for you. depends on your feet, Go and try a pair on. They are Great boots, all depends on trying them on.

chr1sd

Dec 6, 2012
Newcastle
Hanwags

Still does not mean they are not suitable for you. depends on your feet, Go and try a pair on. They are Great boots, all depends on trying them on.

Its trying to find somewhere that stocks them locally. Think the closest is Catterick, long drive to try a pair of boots on :(

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
About an hours drive about 6 mile past scotch corner is the turn off and another 4 mile into carrick. If you go phone up John Bull clothing or HM stores first.

Worth a look around

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE