Boot repair.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gallatos

May 27, 2013
glasgow
I was walking back from camp last weekend when the sole of my boot fell off!

I used the laces to lash it back on and made it home in one piece.

I'm a bit strapped for cash ATM and i dread to think how much a cobbler would charge.

Can anyone advise me of a cheap gluing solution?

They are leather berghaus with a vibram sole.

Also, what do you chaps use to make the join between the boot and the sole waterproof. I remember i had a tube of something but it's name escapes me.

Thanks,

Gallatos

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Shoe goo is good, plenty of it on ebay. It will work as a sealant too :)

How long the repair will last though is anyones guess.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was walking back from camp last weekend when the sole of my boot fell off!

I used the laces to lash it back on and made it home in one piece.

I'm a bit strapped for cash ATM and i dread to think how much a cobbler would charge.

Can anyone advise me of a cheap gluing solution?

They are leather berghaus with a vibram sole.

Also, what do you chaps use to make the join between the boot and the sole waterproof. I remember i had a tube of something but it's name escapes me.

Thanks,

Gallatos

Don't throw money at it. Any glue to buy won't be good enough and you wont have the press to ensure the necessary pressure to make it work if you do. Depending on the model of boot it is it's likely knackered as the midsole may be damaged (it's basically the boots spine). Even most cobblers can't properly repair walking boots. I see you're in Glasgow, take it into Tiso and see if they'll send it to Roger Galloway in Leith for a look. It's a free quote service and he's the best in Scotland at least. If repairable it may not cost as much as you think.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I found evo stick better than shoo gloo (sp)? it was one that was w/proof, flexible etc fro B&Q.
I think Tiso still do boot repairs, why not ask for a quote just to see, don't try Timpsons, that's why i had to glue the vibram soles they put on by myself after a short while.

As GB says,beat me to it

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Tek 47? Its a cobblers adhesive and is used, with or without activator spray. (My mate is a cobbler and has fixed owt from fell, combat, motorcycle racing boots to slippers an handbags with it.)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
Can I ask how old the shoes are? I am curious as this has never happened to me. Does anyone know if this fairly common among frequent hikers?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Can I ask how old the shoes are? I am curious as this has never happened to me. Does anyone know if this fairly common among frequent hikers?

Quite often the damage that causes it is due to folk rapidly drying their boots. Heat and wet boots is a bad mix.

gallatos

May 27, 2013
glasgow
i used mine treking in nepal: cold, wet, ice and snow followed by drying next to a wood fire for 3 weeks straight did a fair bit of damage

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Plus one to what Goatboy says - wet boots and heat are the biggest killer of all, a big no-no!...................atb mac

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
I'd email berghuas customer service and state how long you've had them How many miles that've covered and would they like a break down of the things you've done in them and ask if they want use them I. Any advertising campaign ! Might get a new pair out of them !

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd email berghuas customer service and state how long you've had them How many miles that've covered and would they like a break down of the things you've done in them and ask if they want use them I. Any advertising campaign ! Might get a new pair out of them !

It might work, but as an ex-retailer I'd say that though Berghaus are very fair and good, the fact that they're 16 years old and have been force dried (it's easy to tell by looking) that they may not go anywhere with that one. Give it a go though you never know. In fact the fact that the boots are of an older construction may mean they are more repairable. Think Landrover ladder chassis compared to modern monocoque design. Depends on the condition of the upper and more importantly the midsole.

ATB,
GB.

gallatos

May 27, 2013
glasgow

given that it's 16 years and 2000 odd miles i just couldn't do it.

if it was a couple of years and a few hundred miles ago then that's exactly what i'd do

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE