stupidity, superglue and lesson learned.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Yeah, great Ken... I carry the tools and trauma bandages with me everywhere. Never leave my side, and I'm sure 99% of people are the same.

Sarcasm, my argument against your humble opinion.

And frankly, you've not answered the mobility issue. So you can't say what is viable or not... or do you not understand the mobility issue?

Thinking about it, have you cauterised a wound Ken?

Frankly Dewi, I don't want to or indeed don't have to get in an argument with you.
I will happily admit I'm not a medical professional and have never needed to cauterise a wound.

I would however suggest that your self described 50% success rate in self cauterisation and confession that you don't always seek proper medical attention is not making me question my advice.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Frankly Dewi, I don't want to or indeed don't have to get in an argument with you.
I will happily admit I'm not a medical professional and have never needed to cauterise a wound.

I would however suggest that your self described 50% success rate in self cauterisation and confession that you don't always seek proper medical attention is not making me question my advice.

Fair play... and for the record its a 33% success rate... I'm rubbish at patching myself up.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Generally it is a bad idea to seal off a wound unless you are 100% sure it is clean. I think a padded dressing, some steristrips or micropore tape and dressings are better for wounds than pouring superglue in.

If you are just talking a little itty bitty cut, then stick a plaster on it and man up.

I'm pretty sure that we've had ER personal say this on the board before.

Rik said it:

Don't do it, you can get things like a thermal reaction which damages the skin and slows healing plus you are sealing crap in a wound....don't use it. Direct pressure will do the job, so just keep things simple please, nicely please.

And a link to how to use it and how not to use it: http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/superglue

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Cauterisation is a last resort. Yes, it will hurt.. yes, it could cause infection, yes, it may make any medical procedure afterwards more tricky, and yes, it may cause a nasty scar at the end of it..

But without it, you'll never feel pain again, you'll never have to worry about infection or the nasty scar.... without it, all you'll be is a headline in a newspaper somewhere.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not think I would use normal super Glue to close wounds. some of the characteristics are not good. They developed a specific superglue for this, to be used on humans and in the Veterinary practices.

The Human version is very expensive, the animal version much cheaper.
The main difference between standard and medical glue is that the medical glues are much more flexible and less cell toxic.

I think you can buy the stuff from a Vet and carry.

Cauterization? I do it after every surgery, works well on small vessels.
I guess I would try to do it as a last resort, if standard compression and "stopping bloodsupply' is not feasible.

The best cure/help is still - prevention.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
One of my mates, who i used to go drinking with years ago. One of his front teeth came lose and fell out, he was $*** scared of the dentist.

Before a night out i used to watch him apply super glue to the bottom of the tooth, and stick it back in. It was hilarious, the amount of times the tooth was stuck to his fingers. It wasn't a permanent fix, it used to fall back out after a day or two.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yep, some patients come in with a DIY repair like that.
The problem is that the Cyanoacrylate blocks out the Dentin tubuli and undercuts we need for a proper repair, and whatever cleaning we can do it is still not enough. The result is a weak repair/ construction forever basically.

One of my mates, who i used to go drinking with years ago. One of his front teeth came lose and fell out, he was $*** scared of the dentist.

Before a night out i used to watch him apply super glue to the bottom of the tooth, and stick it back in. It was hilarious, the amount of times the tooth was stuck to his fingers. It wasn't a permanent fix, it used to fall back out after a day or two.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I remember when Superglue came on the Swedish market around 1975 or so. Me and my friends bought a tube and glued a class mates glasses to his nose and ears.

We did lots of fun stuff with that tube.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I remember when Superglue came on the Swedish market around 1975 or so. Me and my friends bought a tube and glued a class mates glasses to his nose and ears.

We did lots of fun stuff with that tube.

I bet that was fun, but not for your class mate :)

When we were kids, esp on mischief night, we used to around squirting superglue in peoples door yale locks, and padlocks on garage doors.

I bet there was some cursing the next morning, when they couldn't get their keys in to locks, or the car out the garage :D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No, his mom called my dad the same evening.
As revenge for that dastardly act, I broke all his pencils the next morning.
A couple of weeks later we became best friends, still in touch.
yes, locks got treated too.

The best one I know of was when somebody put it on a toilet seat. Same time, same school.
But that one was not my group.
But I did put plastic foil ( Gladfoil, gladpack?) under a toilet seat.
Fun to see the guy coming out with urine all over his trousers!

I bet that was fun, but not for your class mate :)

When we were kids, esp on mischief night, we used to around squirting superglue in peoples door yale locks, and padlocks on garage doors.

I bet there was some cursing the next morning, when they couldn't get their keys in to locks, or the car out the garage :D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
But the best joke I know was done by dad in Med School. After a lesson about Kidney Cancer ( you wee blood in late stages) he put a Mercury salt in a friends beer. He told me how his friend came running out from the loo screaming and crying.
You see, that particular mercury salt colours the Urine blood red.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
But the best joke I know was done by dad in Med School. After a lesson about Kidney Cancer ( you wee blood in late stages) he put a Mercury salt in a friends beer. He told me how his friend came running out from the loo screaming and crying.

That's down right cruelty :) I bet the poor sod, was in a right state.

Teal

Apr 23, 2016
Berkshire
I just wanted to offer some clarification ref Israeli type army bandages, they wil NOT effectively seal/stop a genuine arterial bleed. Tourniquets or coagulant bandages (Hemcon, quickclot etc) are issued for this purpose.

The bandages are great for non-arterial but serious bleeds, provided they are applied properly with sufficient pressure. As a further note of caution, avoid the old field dressings in the tan wrappers, beyond soaking up blood (and thus keeping the floor clean) they are largely useless.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire

Sorry for going further off topic but...

I scared myself last week, when I saw my urine was blood red too...😱

...forgetting momentarily that the day before, I'd had 3 roasted beetroots with my Sunday lunch . 😒
I must admit it scared the life out of me...

andyluffs

Sep 29, 2016
Devon
I just wanted to offer some clarification ref Israeli type army bandages, they wil NOT effectively seal/stop a genuine arterial bleed. Tourniquets or coagulant bandages (Hemcon, quickclot etc) are issued for this purpose.

The bandages are great for non-arterial but serious bleeds, provided they are applied properly with sufficient pressure. As a further note of caution, avoid the old field dressings in the tan wrappers, beyond soaking up blood (and thus keeping the floor clean) they are largely useless.

+1,

Celox is widely available now too.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
+1,

Celox is widely available now too.

Haven't used Celox, but the clotting agents I've used feel like you've just stuck a domestic iron on the wound. It hurts... a lot.

Bright side, you can avoid an emergency room with a nurse not being happy with your antics. Not recommending it, but if needs be...

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Just a few points Superglue was developed to repair gun sights not for medical purposes. It was then tried for medical purposes but found to be an irritant and exothermic so they developed Dermabond (2-octyl cyanoacrylate) which is for medical use. It's not strictly first aid, it is treatment used in place of sutures or staples for tricky situations and times when you want to not leave a scar, it's seldom worth the risk outside of a sterile environment. Unless you really need to get back in the fight, then it's almost certainly best to go to a clinic to be stitched or glued. If it doesn't warrant such measures then it's probably unwise to compound the much more serious risk of infection by gluing.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE