Boot maintenance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Can anyone run through what people do to clean and maintain your boots so they last longer for me please

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
  • Clean off mud before it dries. I use the hose pipe or under the cold tap.
  • Dry in a warm place, not hot...not too close to the heat source.
  • Take out laces and remove any bits of dried mud that you missed.
  • Apply a good quality polish, I use Kiwi, on a regular basis.
  • Buff to a shine if that way inclined.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Cheers, how much polish do you need to apply out of curiosity, not to give a shine but for practical purposes?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Stiff brush first to remove any dried thick muck, then a softer brush and cold water to clean.

Allow to dry and then apply Ladersmorning wax

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I can thoroughly recommend Altberg Ledergris, neutral colour, available from their website; it's a mix of oils and waxes and the best I've ever used on any make of boot. It's Dubbin for leather tanned by modern methods.

No connection with Altberg, etc., just a very satisfied user....................................atb mac

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
I can thoroughly recommend Altberg Ledergris, neutral colour, available from their website; it's a mix of oils and waxes and the best I've ever used on any make of boot. It's Dubbin for leather tanned by modern methods.

No connection with Altberg, etc., just a very satisfied user....................................atb mac

+1 with what mac said

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Check what your boot manufacturer recommends. My leather Scarpas need a silicon based treatment apparently, I just use their own brand stuff.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If you have sweated in your boots, it's a good idea to soak them in clean cold water to remove the salt from the leather. if the salt is left in, the leather will suck up water more readily.

I clean my boots, stuff with newspaper, then treat when still wet with Aqueous Nikwax. If they have had a really hard time, I'll use Nikwax leather conditioner.

I never dry them in the warm if I can help it, it promotes cracking in the leather.

My present boots are Scarpas, they are fine with Nikwax.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I find the miendl cream to be very waterproof, dust etc sticks to it like nothing on earth but it works!

If you don't like the dust sticking like the miendl cream then collonil gel is frightening quick to use and gives a fantastic finish!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've found dubbin works just great on my leather boots. 60p a tin at Wilkinsons and you get a few goes out of it :).
I used to use Nikwax products on all my boots but can't say its really any better than the much cheaper dubbin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE