Books on Medicinal Flora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jakata

Dec 16, 2009
Northampton
I hope this is the right place to post this...

I am looking for a decent book on the medicinal use of plants in the UK, I have had a look on Amazon but I am hopeless at finding what I want on there. Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably plenty of pictures and maybe guides on how to prepare them.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Depends on why you're looking. If you're into western medical herbalism you might need something like The Herb Society's Complete Medicinal Herbal by Penelope Ody, or Medical Herbalism: Principles and Practices, by David Hoffmann. If you're more into learning how to making up some simple remedies for your own use then you could try looking at Hoffmanns other book, The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: A Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies, as has already been suggested.

For a more intuitive, shamanistic approach, The Medicine Garden by Rachel Corby is a new publication which is another one you might want to explore. Check out your nearest big bookstore and see what they have on the shelves, that way you can browse before you commit to buying.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have yet to see one book that covers both identification and herbal preparation to similar levels. I use a few which I think are quite good but generally they're not field guides, more table reference books:-
The Country Life Guide to Edible & Medicinal PLants of Britain and Northern Europe - Edmund Launert.
Hedgerow Medicine - Julie Bruton - Seal & Mathew Seal

I have heard good things about the "Grow Your Own Drugs" book though I can't recall the author.

And don't forget our own member Sandsnakes who produced two very good Booklets:-
Traditional Naturopathic Remedies and Tips for Bushcraft and Natural Remedies For Women.

HTH

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE