book recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys,

looking for a couple of good novels to start reading obviously with the subject of bushcraft and survival, i would prefare it to be based on true events but it doesnt have to be. Constantly finding myself with nothing to read and to be honest theres only so many sports biographies a man can read lol.

Phil

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
And there's more to literature than bushcraft/survival and sports biographies.
Walk into a book shop and take a look around - there's all sorts of categories. Why just limit yourself to just one or two? Especially if you're looking to widen your reading tastes.
Tell you what, go to a category you'd never usually look at (chick lit and religion/'spirituality' excepted, of course) and take a chance and pick something random.
And if cost of books is an issue then try a charity shop - old paperbacks can be had for literally just a few pence.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The Phillip pullman dark materials trilogy are great to read by the fire(and the second book is all about a knife ;-) ) exciting and enthralling, at least a weeks worth of reading if, like me, you find it had to put them down the individual books are
Northan lights.

The subtle knife.

The amber spyglass.

I actually read the second book first by mistake after buying the hardback in a charity shop for twenty pence.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
One of my favourite series is The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel. Set at the time of the dawn of modern humans. Is well researched, draws on aercheological finds, cave paintings etc, but is still very easy to read. The last of the 6 books is due out in march next year. The whole series has taken over 25 years to write.
Try your local library too. They can usually recommend you some good reads based on your interest .

Cheers
Ness :)

Ishmael

May 4, 2009
Somewhere They Can't Find Me
How about The Mad Trapper of Rat River, by Dick North? The true story of Canada's largest manhunt in the 1930s. The fugitive (the Mad Trapper) performed some absolutely astonishing feats of survival in the Canadian wilderness, yet to this day nobody knows who he was.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Clear Waters Rising by Nicholas Crane of Coast fame, a 17 month epic walk across the mountains of Europe, explains why he carries an umbrella around as well.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
And there's more to literature than bushcraft/survival and sports biographies.
Walk into a book shop and take a look around - there's all sorts of categories. Why just limit yourself to just one or two? Especially if you're looking to widen your reading tastes.
Tell you what, go to a category you'd never usually look at (chick lit and religion/'spirituality'excepted, of course) and take a chance and pick something random.
And if cost of books is an issue then try a charity shop - old paperbacks can be had for literally just a few pence.

"(chick lit and religion/'spirituality'excepted, of course)"

Of course.. ;) If you're missing the religion/philosophy section (as they tend tend to be lumped together) you're missing plenty of good reading.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
"To Build a Fire" by Jack London - very short so get it from the library or second hand - also read it on a hot summer's day when you want to cool down

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
William Hope Hodgeson. Into the Night lands.

A dark fantasy tale written in 1912 that has been strangley enduring.

and if you do like modern fantasy C Paolini and his Inheritance cycle. (remember its juvenilia!)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I read this book by Guy grieve IIRC its bout a guy from Scotland who goes mad and lives a year in the Klondike building his own log cabin just before winter hits badly with the help of a native person and his family from there/ Leaves his wife and kids to do it. I read it while doing Skye by backpacking and car camping near sea lochs or streams and rivers. Couldn't put it down as he was kind of funny.

I reaad a good book when 18 on holiday visiting my sis in Athens. I spent it reading the book cover to cover in various places like a cafe overlooking the Agora in Athens on the side of the path up to the Acropolis and the Parthenon. I spent my time during the hottest part of the day under shade in a cafe drinking nescafe frappe and getting totally relaxed and high on coffee. Anyway the book was Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd. He of the biography on London. Bit of a wierd thriller / scary story thing. Don't really know how to categorise it but is a good read. Read it twice now. A sign of a good book is a second read.

Also try catch 22 by joseph heller. I like it but it is a marmite book in that there are as many ppl who hate it as like it. You eithere can read it all or you give up less than a chapter in.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
How about the Little House on the Prairie series of books. I've been reading them to my daughter and they are excellent books. Some of the hardships the settlers went through and it was just daily life for them ...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...looking for a couple of good novels to start reading obviously with the subject of bushcraft and survival, i would prefare it to be based on true events but it doesnt have to be..."

What interests you? apart from bushcraft that is. :) What are your favorite films, do you have any hobbies? Are there countries or peoples in the world that hold some interest for you? Answers to those will narrow down your choice a little. The Travel or Biography sections are perhaps worth a browse.

The autobiography of Sir Ranulph Fiennes 'Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know' is an entertaining read or perhaps a bit of desert adventuring in 'Arabian Sands' by Wilfred Thesiger would be more your thing. :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Clear Waters Rising by Nicholas Crane of Coast fame, a 17 month epic walk across the mountains of Europe, explains why he carries an umbrella around as well.

That's one I want to get.

I'd recommend 'Nessmuk' Woodcraft and camping as a start, easy reading.
Not a novel but good 'eye fodder'.

Sophielou10

Aug 18, 2010
england
One of my favourite series is The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel. Set at the time of the dawn of modern humans. Is well researched, draws on aercheological finds, cave paintings etc, but is still very easy to read. The last of the 6 books is due out in march next year. The whole series has taken over 25 years to write.
Try your local library too. They can usually recommend you some good reads based on your interest .

just want to second that.the earth's children (or children of the earth) books are amazing, i have read them over and over again, so much that i had to invest in my own copy. ( i don't many books (apart from reference) as i read them too quick) i know people pof all ages who have enjoyed these including a mature fourteen year old.

sophie
x

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Try THE Wild Life (a year of living off the land) by John Lewis Stemple I'm reading it for the second time

I'm finding it a good read too. Loads of recipes and list of whats available month-by-month on his Welsh border farm. You need a book of plants along side it so you can see what he's eating though as very few scant diagrams

I have read the Guy grieve Book fantastic read
Another cracking read. Love to get a copy of the DVD that goes with it ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE