The sleeping bag minefield

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
A true mine field isn't it. Been following this thread closely. Going Canoe camping in Scotland at the start of may and no idea what bag I need. Current bag is a Vango rated to 4°C which I don't think will be warm enough?

KevStorr

Apr 10, 2011
Near Burton Upon Trent
I have had for about 20 yrs a fleece bag liner from RAB which I've found to be excellent as a boost to your normal bag. I also use it in the summer on its own or in a bivi bag.

Sleeping bags are always a problem for me as I hate a side zip. For that reason I ended up getting a Woodlaw bag which I find great but is bulky.

I've looked for years as phd but also keep thinking about quilts. At the moment I can't spend as I've a 3 yr old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I started with Snugpak Green bags, a 6 and a 10. The 10 was almost warm enough for tarp camping in Hertfordshire woods in November - February without waking with anything cold. Think that had I had a better mat, or a bivibag, it would have been more than enough. Is a bit bulky though.

Next I got a Marmot Helium with a water resistant outer. Lovely bag, very happy with it. Used in April in Sweden in a hammock and in Canada in January in a tipi. Wasn't actually warm enough alone in canada, but it was down to -15degC at night. Was a bit too warm for summer use in the UK. Getting too hot in a bag is almost as bad as being cold.

Since I wanted something a little lighter for summer, and that I could pair with the Marmot for Canada, I got a Jacks-R-Better Sierra Sniveller quilt. Nice idea to have it double as a garment to wear around camp, but in practice I have never used it like this. Claims its rated to -4C, but I must sleep cold since I have been chilly when it has been just above freezing.

Since I like my hammocks I have a couple of under-quilts, the UK-Hammocks one is excellent, and they do top quilts which look very good value. I also made my own synthetic underquilt using two layers of 4oz Climashield Apex. Looking at US made bags and quilts using this insulation I reckon that making your own is very good value. Bought the material from www.extremtextil.de/index_en.html.

I am seriously thinking about making a top quilt out of similar materials. I used the synthetic under quilt in over the top of the Sierra Sniveller and it worked remarkably well. Got condensation on the inside of the synthetic
bag rather than in the down. I like the gear Kifaru makes, and this is similar to what they use their Woobie poncho liners for, to up-rate sleeping bags. Its an idea if you want extra warmth some of the time.

Last edited:

Xylophile

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2015
Washington
I'm 99% made my mind up on the north face blue kazoo. Got to make a phone call to gaynor sports tomorrow to clarify one thing and then make payment.

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Im not sure of the cost of the TNF Blue Kazoo, but Im sure you can do better, have you looked at a used PHD or Cumulus the savings are large including the cost of have it washed etc.

Im not a great fan of the TNF and how they do business...

Xylophile

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2015
Washington
I paid 225 for the blue kazoo everything included. I made a spreadsheet and it was the best fit for my need. It's 650 hungarian down. The compressed volumn was the smallest and the comfort rating was exactly where I wanted it. I made a spreadsheet and it came out on top.

I like the north face. My dealings with them have been great

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I paid 225 for the blue kazoo everything included. I made a spreadsheet and it was the best fit for my need. It's 650 hungarian down. The compressed volumn was the smallest and the comfort rating was exactly where I wanted it. I made a spreadsheet and it came out on top.

Good choice mate.. should serve you well :)

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK

You should do a review of it after you've had it out a few times - especially giving reasons why you went for it and how it lived up to your requirements. That would help all those who come along behind you and are considering their options.

I hope it works well for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE